Health Fitness Grad Goes from the Training Floor to the Top Floor

Jessica Eggert finished school with every intention of working in the health fitness industry as a wellness coordinator or trainer.  

Anytime Fitness put her in the manager’s office instead.

health fitness

Jessica Egget poses at her Anytime Fitness club in Jordan, Minn.

Eggert, a December 2012 graduate of the health fitness degree program at Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth (MSB), is currently in charge of the Anytime Fitness club in Jordan, Minn., where she is seeing a different side of the fitness world. She got the job after applying for a training position at the club.

“I was hired on March 27,” Eggert said. “We were doing a big membership drive for May, and I was there for a couple of 12-hour days. That was my training, and I was put in the role after that.”

Eggert came to MSB in 2009 at a crossroads in her academic journey. She had just graduated with a degree that had prepared her to be an emergency medical technician (EMT). With the economy in a tailspin and jobs few and far between, she decided to give the preventative side of the health industry a try.

“When I decided to go back to school, I wanted to pick something that had a lot of potential, and in our nation that’s fitness,” she said.” I knew it was a good career and it keeps growing.”

After two years at MSB, and an exciting internship opportunity at Summit Place Senior Campus in Eden Prairie, Eggert earned her associate degree in health fitness.

“The small classes were awesome, it was very personal,” she said. “You couldn’t fail; you were held accountable for being there and working hard.”

Eggert’s future is wide open. She is enjoying her current position, and has future aspirations of working with the geriatric population, corporate wellness or even club ownership. In the meantime, she is enjoying her time with Anytime Fitness.

“[Anytime is] awesome…we’re here to help, and I have the ability to do that in many different ways,” she said. “I love Jordan, and have even looked at houses down here. We are very involved in the community, and my manager is awesome. I couldn’t ask for a better situation.”