Dream Jobs 101: Getting Paid to Play Video Games

We thought it’d be fun to introduce you to some recent Minnesota School of Business-Richfield graduates. Meet Marcus Liggins, a December 2012 graduate who landed one of the coolest jobs ever.

game and application development
Tell us a little bit about your background.

Before I started going to Minnesota School of Business-Richfield, I was still in high school. I also was working part time at a newspaper factory. Soon after I graduated from high school, I wanted to further my education. So I decided to enroll in MSB to get a bachelor’s degree in game and application development.

How did you decide on the game and application development program?

I couldn’t picture myself working in the factory all my life. The factory life was boring, so I left. I wanted to learn about something that interested me since childhood—video games. I can picture myself as an 80-year-old still making and playing video games.

How was your Minnesota School of Business-Richfield experience?

The teachers and staff were friendly. My two favorite classes were Game Engine Programming and Basic Web Design.

How did MSB-Richfield prepare you for entering the work force?

I went to numerous resume workshops here at MSB that helped me fix up my resume. The Career Capstone class was also helpful when setting up my LinkedIn profile.

How did the job interview for your new job come about?

The associate director of the career services department sent me an email about the job openings at Activision.

Tell us about your very cool job!

My title is Quality Assurance Tester at Activision. For those that don’t know, Activision publishes games like the Spiderman, Call of Duty, and the Tony Hawk series.

How do you like it?

Things are going well at Activision. It’s almost been a month since I got hired and I’m loving every minute of it!

Anything else you’d like to share?

I would like to say thanks to the staff at MSB for helping me get where I am today. Thank you for helping me live my dream.