What Do Business and Big Game Hunting Have in Common?

We all have a certain commitment to excellence, winning and, of course, accolades. Minnesota School of Business-Rochester (MSB) shares this philosophy and embraces students who carry this message forward daily. One such student is Taylor Metcalf, an MSB business program graduate and recent recipient of a national DECA award. From camouflage to business attire, see what drives this refined, young man who is equally comfortable in the wilderness and his office:

Tell our readers more about the DECA event. How did you do?

I participated in the national Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) competition in Anaheim, Calif., along with two other classmates in the business program. My competition area of project management required passing through two rounds, consisting of dozens of competitors and three to four judges per round. I can proudly say that I won first place, which included a plaque recognizing my achievement and $1,000 in prize money.

business program

What was your project? How much time did it take to select and prepare for the competition?

The first part of preparing involved fleshing out what to present for the project management competition. After reviewing options at both work and a home-based business, I chose the business that I run with my father, T & B Aviary, which is a game bird farm. Including several hours of selecting a project, I spent a total of 10 hours preparing the project details and actual presentation. The hardest part was actually selecting a project; the easy part was putting it together because I’m passionate about my family business. The overall result provided more clarity in how to run the business both from a day-to-day and long-term strategic management perspective.

How does this classroom success prepare you for the real world?

This national competition was the culmination of all the hard work and commitment I put into the other competitions that led up to it. The days of preparing, including in-class work and projects, which included completing a project management course, and the handful of other competitions, both regional and state, not only aided in getting me ready, but they also helped calm nerves before the big competition. Between work, completing 20 credits per quarter and the family business, I quickly learned the value of time management, which, in the end, greatly prepared me for this event.

Is there more to Taylor than just winning, including constant studying? What would surprise readers about you?

I love to hunt, particularly elk and whitetail deer. Hunting deer is something I do right in my backyard in southeastern Minnesota, but elk hunting, on the other hand, is something I did out in Wyoming last year, where I landed a 600-pound elk with my prized Matthews bow.

Pretend you’re talking to a kid in junior high. What would you say is the recipe for success in life?

Find your passion. I believe we all have intrinsic motivation for that special thing in life that drives us. I’m thankful that I’ve found mine at this early stage in my life. This motivation forces me to put in the hard work now, which I know will pay off later. My hope is that the value of knowing this would be very clear to all kids who would listen. Focus on what you want, go get it and don’t let the trivial things in life bother you.

What is your five-year plan?

I currently work as an agent at the Steve Knutson State Farm agency in Rochester. I really love the work and I am working hard to learn all of the aspects of the insurance industry so I can open my own agency in two years. The youngest agent to move into an agency owner role was 23 years old. My goal is to attain that status before the age of 23 so I can set a new record. Another aspect of my life involves the family farm, which is an investment that I plan to maintain in order to help that side of my life grow. Most importantly, I want all readers of this blog to contact me for writing a life insurance policy!

Call 507-536-9500 to learn more about taking your career to the next level at Minnesota School of Business.