Advice from a Massage Therapy Grad: Continue Learning and Follow Passions

massage therapy diploma

Graduate Cheryl Nordquist

Last month, we highlighted Maria Haro Ritchey, one of the graduate speakers for the Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center spring quarter graduation ceremony.  This month, we highlight our second speaker, Cheryl Nordquist.

Returning to college 35 years after her first attempt, Nordquist graduated on Friday, June 14, 2013, with a diploma in massage therapy.  Originally planning on going to school for veterinary medicine, Nordquist soon dropped out as she felt unprepared to learn in classes with more than 200 students.  Instead, at her father’s suggestion, she decided to begin working at the local hardware store where she has been ever since leaving college.

In her speech, Nordquist challenged her peers to be lifelong learners.  Through her travels, she has been able to continue learning about communities and people.  She also encouraged everyone to follow their passions beyond the professional life.  Nordquist said, “One chance connection at a costume party became the opportunity to play music with an orchestra again after almost 30 years. My participation in a charity concert connected me with the teacher I needed and then musicals and other special concerts. Playing music helps to fill a space in my soul.”

Recently, Nordquist answered a few questions about her time in school.

1. Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?
MSB-BC had the massage program I was looking for, didn’t require I study for a degree I didn’t want to spend time or money on, had an excellent reputation, and was very close to home.

2. What was your favorite thing about attending and going to class at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?
I like learning and the energy my teachers and classmates offered.

3. What are your post-graduation plans?
As I take a few weeks after graduation to recoup and clean my house, opportunities are presenting themselves in many facets!

4. What are you involved with away from school?
I enjoy spending time with my daughter and grandson.  Gardening is a favorite pastime.  I also have an opportunity to play bass in the musical “Annie.”

5. If you had any words of wisdom for current students, what would those be?
Get on the homework right away!  Expect frustration.  Ask questions.  Keep the end goal in mind.

Congratulations Cheryl on receiving your degree, and best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

For more information on Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center, please call 763-566-7777.