What’s Located at Latitude 61.194905, Longitude 149.842601?

veterinary technology
Home is where the heart is. It is also where you strike gold by finding a great job in a location with a wilderness that is as undiscovered as one’s new home. That is what Ruth Lambert, a veterinary technology degree graduate, found out when she discovered and accepted a veterinary technology job at College Village Animal Clinic in Anchorage, Alaska. Our first thought? Brrr! Learn why Ruth feels otherwise: she sees brighter tomorrows, working in a career she loves by making the trek to the unknown.

What inspired you to go into veterinary technology?

Ever since I was little, I have always liked animals. With my affection for them, I knew that I wanted to work in the vet field. My first choice was to become a veterinary doctor, but this quickly changed when I considered the overall cost and, consequently, the amount of debt I would accrue. My decision to become a vet tech was influenced by these factors, but, more importantly, becoming a vet tech would allow me to work with animals just as much, so it was an easy choice to make. Overall, becoming a vet tech, which allows me to combine my love of animals with my acumen for science and math, is the perfect job.

What do you love most about the field?

Building a strong relationship with both the animal and owner is very important. It’s rewarding to be able to take my love of science and do the job I do every day, including meeting new people and performing vet tech duties.

How did the vet tech program at Minnesota School of Business-Rochester prepare you for the field?

vet techThe school requires a high level of accountability of its students. All of the work completed inside the classroom requires a strong commitment to completing homework outside of class. This is because instructors make you walk through it with them during lectures by asking you questions to verify that we are properly preparing for becoming practicing vet techs in the field.

What are you looking forward to in your new vet tech job in Alaska?

Leaving the creature comforts of Minnesota behind and embracing Alaska, the new people, culture and other aspects, will be a good test for me. I’m prepared for the reality that it will most certainly be Alaska, not Minnesota, so I’m sure it will take some getting used to.

What do your family and friends think about your journey to Alaska?

My whole family—aunts and uncles—especially on my dad’s side, are very excited. My parents feel that this is a great time to experience a new life on my own. They want the best for me, no matter where the location is, so they are cheering for my success.

Tell our readers something unique about yourself that only close family and friends would know?

I find TV to be a good stress relief to check out of a stressful day, at least for a short period of time. As far as liking something unique, I enjoy watching the Japanese anime cartoons because they seem so different from US ones.

Where could your veterinary technology education take you? Whether it’s near or far, contact our admissions team today at 507-536-9500 to learn how to take the first step.