Alumni Update: Where Are They Now?

criminal justice degree

Criminal justice graduate, Julie Consoer, shares her update on what she's been up to since graduation.

At the end of every quarter, Minnesota School of Business must say goodbye to the students who have completed their degree programs and are entering the world as graduates. However, saying goodbye at graduation doesn’t (and shouldn’t) have to be forever. Through this blog series, we will highlight a handful of graduates as they’ve made the transition into life after college.

Julie Consoer, the second graduate featured in our blog series, is an associate of applied science (AAS) graduate of our criminal justice degree program. I had the chance to interview Julie on what she’s been up to and where she’s headed—check it out below!

What were your past educational experiences like and how did they lead to you to MSB?

After graduating high school in 2003, I started school at a community college. After graduating in 2006, I realized that my true love was criminal justice. I then enrolled at Minnesota School of Business for my associate in criminal justice.

Describe your career path before graduation:

Before graduation, I was focused on getting a job in my field right away. I wanted to work as a probation officer or at a juvenile facility. I had worked security and loss prevention in the past and found it somewhat boring and was looking for something a little more interesting without having to chase down criminals. I knew that patrol work was not something that was feasible for me due to my asthma, but I loved the field so much that I was willing to do what I could to help people in any capacity.

How did your education enhance or change your career path?

I was expecting to have an easy time finding a job in my field right out of school. However, criminal justice is a huge field with many positions, and I found that competition was very tough for the jobs that I was interested in. After looking into my options, I became interested in Homeland Security, especially in Emergency Management and I decided to return to school to get the job I want.

What piece of advice would you give to students considering the same degree as you?

Even though I never expected to end up in criminal justice, it only took a few classes to know that it was my passion. This degree is all about how you can give back to the community. You don’t have to be a police officer if that is not what you are interested in. There are so many interesting and fun careers to explore in criminal justice.

I have also come to realize that even though there are classes that you will struggle through, if you hang in there and continue to believe in yourself, you’ll make it. Just remember that your goals are your own. Don’t let other people dictate what decisions you should make; and when you look back after graduation, nothing feels better than that moment when you receive your degree.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

In my spare time I enjoy being with my family and close friends. We love going to see the latest movies, attending concerts, and just sitting down and having a good dinner. I also love watching TV, computer gaming and reading good books—James Patterson novels are my favorite.

For more information on how you can enter our Criminal Justice degree program online or on campus, visit us on the web at:

*If you are a graduate or current student who would like to offer your tips for success, please contact me, (Serena) directly at