TechNurse: Saving Lives Through the Internet

Posted by on June 27, 2013

Minnesota School of Business-Richfield’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing program puts a strong focus on integrating technology into the classroom. This focus means nursing students are not only learning the clinical aspects of providing care, but are also learning how to educate themselves and others via digital resources.

bachelor of science in nursing, Minnesota School of BusinessOne of the many ways they do this is through creating websites. As part of the Nurse as Provider and Coordinator of Care course, students had to develop a plan to create a digital resource to help address an area in the healthcare field that needed more available resources. Student Ali Larson created a website on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a rare genetic disorder that affects 1 in 3,500 males, where the onset of symptoms begins in childhood.

“I didn’t find many resources that were friendly for a younger audience due to the difficult language and extensive content,” Ali said. “I wanted to provide a place for people between the ages of 10 and 20 to learn more about their disease and to incorporate information that isn’t overwhelming and scary.”

Her completed website was promoted via social media channels by instructor Raney Linck. A teacher from Western Illinois University let Raney know that she was so impressed by the website that she bookmarked it to use for the genetics course she will be teaching in the fall.

“When I learned about the instructor using my website, I was very shocked but also very honored,” Ali said. “I didn’t know that my website made such an impact. I just hope that the instructor, as well as the class, find it educational and can use it to help others understand what genetics and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy are.”

The value of such projects is immense. Not only will people affected by the disease find a place to educate themselves, but other educators as well as healthcare professionals can utilize these resources to further educate others in the field. In addition, our nursing students are expanding their knowledge into areas outside of their own traditional academic program and learning about technology and how to tailor a presentation to their audience.

“Creating a website is such a great way to present information without overwhelming the viewer,” Ali said. “It’s nice to be able to present information in a way that you want to while still making it fun.”

This wasn’t the first time the nursing student had to create a website for a class. And, as they say, practice makes perfect.

“This was my second time creating a website,” Ali said. “Making a website this time around was much easier because I knew how to use all of the functions.”

These experiences are preparing her for a career path that relies heavily on technology, a trend that will only increase in the future.

I think that digital projects are important for the field of nursing because we are living in a technology-driven generation,” Ali said. “It is not only helping the person making the digital project become more knowledgeable, but is helping people in different areas, states and countries benefit from the information as well.”