Information Technology Grad Perseveres and Prevails

Posted by on June 26, 2013

degree in information technology

Graduate Maria Haro Ritchey

Maria Haro Ritchey graduated from Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center on Friday, June 14, 2013, with an associate degree in information technology.  Haro Ritchey was one of two student speakers at the ceremony.

Haro Ritchey knows a lot about hard work and overcoming obstacles.  She first moved to the United States just eight years ago, and one of her first challenges was learning the language.  With effort and perseverance, she prevailed. Three years ago, she began a career in the technology field and made it her goal to obtain a degree while continuing to work. 

While at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center, she received recognition for obtaining a GPA of 3.86, graduating with honors, and having perfect attendance.  Haro Ritchey has also been recognized for outstanding service and performance in her career.

Recently, Haro Ritchey answered a few questions about her time in school.

1. Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?
I chose MSB-BC because it offered the program I was looking for and the flexibility I needed to pursue my goal. The option of taking classes on campus or online gave me the opportunity to continue working full time and attend school at the same time.  Also, I had excellent feedback from former graduates and my personal experience was just like they said it would be.  It is a great school to attend!

2. What was your favorite thing about attending and going to class at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?
I believe I had two favorites: online classes because of the flexibility, and the opportunity to meet some great instructors.  I really appreciated the feedback and support of the instructors both in and out of class.  Their positive comments have helped me become a better professional.

3. What are your post-graduation plans?
My plan is to continue growing in my field, pursuing knowledge and experience.  The fascinating side of my field is that technology never stops, so it is important to keep up to date with certifications and hands on work.  I also plan to dedicate my time to do volunteer work helping others learn about the wonderful future, the future God has for all of us.

4. What are you involved with away from school?
I’m still working full time and doing volunteer work around my schedule.  These two activities keep me pretty busy.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, playing sports, and traveling.

5. If you had any words of wisdom for current students, what would those be?
We have the opportunity to become who we want to be, so never give up.  Work hard today because it will definitely pay off in the future.  Enjoy what you do!  Trust in your capacity for success because we all have it.  The difference with those who succeed is that they never let anything get in the way and don’t allow anyone to tell them they can’t do it.  Have the strength to get up when you fall, and say sorry when you make a mistake.  Who we are today is our legacy, so make a name for yourself.

Congratulations Maria on receiving your degree, and best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

For more information on the information technology program at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center, please call 763-566-7777 or click here.