Fewer Than 50 in the World, and We Have One – What is It?

Posted by on June 26, 2013

Dr. William Premo, instructor at Minnesota School of Business-Richfield (MSB), was recently honored for becoming a North American Society of Adlerian Psychology (NASAP) Diplomate. This distinguishing certification was presented to Dr. Premo at the NASAP 61st International Conference in San Diego.

Minnesota School of BusinessFewer than 50 people in the world have this distinction. It is the highest recognition NASAP offers and is awarded to those NASAP members who demonstrate the highest level of professional accomplishment in and contribution to Adlerian psychology. Some of the requirements for this recognition include 90 hours of Adlerian training, eight years of applying Adlerian psychology in one’s career field, and authoring at least two Adlerian-oriented publications in peer reviewed journals.

Alfred Adler, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung are considered the pioneers of modern psychology. Adler is best known as the founder of Individual Psychology, and he also practiced a holistic approach to psychology. Some of his other notable contributions include the importance of birth order on personality and how parenting styles impact child development. An extensive explanation of Adlerian Psychology can be found on the NASAP website, but a general overview from the site is as follows:

“Alfred Adler was an early associate of Sigmund Freud in Vienna but his revolutionary observations triggered a life of research dedicated to understanding people that he called Individual Psychology. Today Adlerian concepts are being used creatively in education, community programs, business and the arts, as well as psychology and other mental health programs.

“Adler was one of the first persons to provide family counseling, group counseling, and public education to teach psychological concepts to the general public as a way of improving the human condition.”

Dr. Premo began utilizing the Adlerian techniques in his own practice in 1994. He later went on to get his Ph.D. in 2003. Now, he integrates Adlerian methods into his Interpersonal Relations classroom at MSB-Richfield. One of his most popular and memorable ways of using it in the classroom is with his “poised box.”

“The poised box helps students make choices for the future,” Dr. Premo said. “It’s one of the ways I inject Adlerian theories into the classroom while still maintaining the objectives of the course. It’s very practical, which is something that students appreciate.”

The poised box involves using the Five Life Tasks as outlined by Adler to make decisions:

• Friendship or relating to others
  • Work or making a contribution to community
  • Love and family relationships
  • Self-acceptance
  • Spirituality or understanding our values, goals and relationship with others

Alderian psychology“Dr. Premo helped me learn that no matter where we stand or what position we are in, we can make good decisions with the help of the poised box,” said student Gloria Garay. “It represents the values that are important to me. It gave me hope. Dr. Premo gave me hope.”

Dr. Premo decided to pursue this honor because of his innate sense of drive.

“I want to be at the top of my field,” he said. “When I left the business world, I was at the top of my game, and I said, ‘now what am I going to do?’ So I found that same drive to apply to this. This is the top of my game.”

Having instructors who are at the top of their game is one of the many reasons MSB stands out in its field.

“We prepare students to be career focused and community minded,” said Lisa Kilmer, dean of faculty. “They leave with useful and practical knowledge. Dr. Premo is a perfect example of the dedicated faculty we embrace at our campus. This award solidifies that he has mastered teaching and integrating complex subjects to students for real world appreciation.”

Congratulations to Dr. Premo, a true leader in his field.