What Giving Back Means: Student Helps Feed Hungry Children Around the Globe

Posted by on May 24, 2013

Each quarter, students in Jay Moore’s Global Citizenship class at Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee learn valuable lessons about the importance of giving back. To reinforce that learning, they go out intotheir local community to directly aid in charitable causes of their choice. Dan Wilkie, a sales and marketing degree student, focused his efforts on volunteering with Feed My Starving Children.

Feed My Starving ChildrenFeed My Starving Children is a nonprofit organization with three locations in the Twin Cities—Chanhassen, Coon Rapids and Eagan. The organization’s mission is feeding God’s starving children hungry in body and spirit. It is with the assistance of community volunteers that the organization is able to package foods to feed the children around the world. Feed My Starving Children currently delivers packaged food to over 70 countries.

“I wanted to volunteer with Feed My Starving Children because I heard nothing but great things about the organization,” Dan said. “I had friends in high school that volunteered with the organization and really enjoyed their time.”

Through his volunteer work, Dan worked with a group of community members who helped put together means for those in need. In a presentation to his fellow students following his volunteer time, Dan explained the process of volunteering with the organization. When first arriving, Dan and the fellow volunteers received a tutorial on how to package the food and who the food would help.

Feed My Starving ChildrenThe combination of food that the volunteers package is called a “Manna Pack,” which includes essential nutrients:

• Rice
  • Soy nuggets
  • Vitamins, minerals and vegetarian flavoring
  • Dehydrated vegetables

Reflecting on his time with the organization, Dan said, “My experience through Feed My Starving Children gave me a feeling I don’t think I’ve ever felt before. I felt so good about myself and what I did, knowing I was able to contribute to feeding children around this world. No one deserves to be hungry.”