Feeding Children Around the World: Our Partnership Continues

Posted by on May 24, 2013

The importance of giving back to our local, national and even global community is something Minnesota School of Business-Lakeville practices year-round. The Lakeville campus has several community partnerships with local nonprofits and other community organizations that allow our students to assist in important philanthropic efforts and, through applied learning projects, learn skills relevant to their future success in the workplace.

Feed My Starving ChildrenStudents in Joel Bisser’s Global Citizenship class recently spent time volunteering with Feed My Starving Children, a nonprofit organization with a mission of feeding God’s starving children hungry in body and spirit. The organization, which Minnesota School of Business-Lakeville has partnered with for several years, organizes groups of volunteers who package food to be sent to children and families in need around the world. The organization currently delivers food to more than 70 countries.

Feed My Starving Children

Students in Global Citizenship class volunteer with Feed My Starving Children

During their time with Feed My Starving Children, the Global Citizenship students packaged 70 boxes, each including 36 packets of nutrient-filled food. The supplies will feed more than 60 children for an entire year! The packaged food, called Manna Packs, include rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables and a variety of vitamins and minerals. The specially developed Manna Packs were designed with input from a team of scientists, representing companies such as Cargill and General Mills.

“It has been great to be able to continue our long-standing community partnership with Feed My Starving Children through the active participation of our Global Citizenship students,” said Joel Bisser, service learning coordinator and general education instructor. “The students are able to experience a group volunteer project that truly makes a difference.”

The work the students have done over the years with Feed My Starving Children aligns seamlessly with the Global Citizenship course content, which highlights the impact that community involvement and social responsibility have on societies both locally and globally.

For more information on how to volunteer your time with Feed My Starving Children, please visit their website or contact Joel Bisser at jbisser@msbcollege.edu.