How Technology is Changing the Fields of Nursing, Education, and Nursing Education

Posted by on May 10, 2013

To celebrate both National Nurses Week and Teacher Appreciation Week, we interviewed one of our nursing program faculty members, Raney Linck. Raney has been teaching for many years, and has taught at least one course for every graduating class from the Globe University/Minnesota School of Business Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program. Not only is he a teacher and a nurse, but he’s also a student—he’s currently a PhD candidate in Nursing Education.

bachelor of science nursing, nursing programYou recently had an article called The Mobile Revolution is Here: What Every Nurse Needs to Know, which was published in the April Issue of Reflections on Nursing Leadership. Tell us how this article came to be, and why this topic is important.

Technology is transforming our world in really profound ways.  I believe we have to seize this opportunity, and use it to create the best future possible.  It is critical for all of us who are in nursing, healthcare, and education to embrace and lead this change.  But you have to have the information and understand the technology in order to be part of the change.  I wrote this article to present a clear and succinct overview of the mobile revolution to health care providers and students.

What trends do you see (or foresee) in the fields of nursing and education?

Health care is becoming more interconnected through electronic health records and increased patient access. As nurses, we are so closely involved with our patients and families. We need to help lead and shape this change so the technology best meets the needs of our patients and helps support giving the best care possible. There is an explosion in innovation right now.  So many mobile tools are emerging that can make care safer, more effective and cheaper—education tools, medication and treatment resources, improved access to the chart, and more.  But there’s so much out there and everything is changing so fast, it can be confusing and overwhelming.  Health care needs nurse leaders who have navigated the technology, understand the best tools, and help create what’s next.  I’m trying to be one of those nurse leaders and train our students to become that next generation of leaders.

What made you decide you wanted to be a nurse?

I came to nursing as a second profession.  My first degree was in mass communication and I was working in sales.  I decided to go back to school to enter a caring profession because I wanted to truly make a difference.  Ultimately I was trying to decide between being a chaplain, a teacher, or a nurse.  I chose nursing because it combines all three.  Choosing nursing was one of the best decisions of my life—I never dreamed how many different opportunities I would have.  What other profession can let you go into hospice, ICU, mental health, pediatrics, management, informatics, education?  I’ve done it all.  No other degree that I can think of can let you do so many diverse things.

What makes the MSB Bachelor of Science in Nursing program unique?

I love teaching in this program because it’s very cutting edge.  No other program in the state has an end-of-life course where you spend 30 hours working with a hospice nurse.  We also have a critical care course with a high-tech weekly simulation lab where students learn about clinical judgment with real time decision-making with a simulated ICU patient.  Of course, simulation is threaded into every quarter, so students are always challenged to apply their learning.  Nurses always have to be able to think of their feet, and we create challenging scenarios in a safe environment so they are ready when it comes to facing a real-life emergency after graduation.  Also, as part of our leadership class, our students earn a management training certificate through Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing, before they graduate.