Mama Always Said: Our 14 Favorite Tips

Posted by on May 9, 2013

“If there’s a Mother’s Day and a Father’s Day, why isn’t there a Kid’s Day?” A younger me would ask this question pretty much every year. Ungrateful? Maybe. Unaware? More likely. My mom would always respond with “Every day is kid’s day.” Kid’s day is every day, I would think? Ludicrous!

Up until the day I had my own child, I never knew just how true my mother’s words were—in regard to Kid’s Day and pretty much everything else she ever told me. Thus, this post is dedicated to moms and all of the tips, advice, sayings and anecdotes they shared with us that managed to get us where we are today.

minnesota school of business richfieldMy mom would say “Everything happens for a reason” (which is generally both true and maddening to hear), and this is something I’ve found I say to myself with increasing frequency as I get older. When you’re a working parent or a student with children, like so many of us here at Minnesota School of Business in Richfield, life can be stressful. Sometimes, when it becomes hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, it’s often the words of our moms (or motherly figures) that help us persevere.

The staff and faculty here at MSB-Richfield compiled some of their best/most frequently heard/still true now/favorite tips and advice from their moms and grandmas.

“Never be the most under-dressed in a room.” – Rachna Talwar, Legal Program Chair

“Take care of the corners. The middle will take care of itself.” – Portia Heller, Instructor

“Always be 10-15 minutes early for everything.” – Stephanie Aspen, Financial Aid Administrator

“My grandma also told me if I didn’t eat the crust on my bread my hair wouldn’t be curly anymore.” – Amy Stadem, Medical Assisting Executive Program Chair

“Grandmother told me to never lose faith.  And it’s still applicable!” – Carol Roos, Campus Librarian

“Worrying won’t stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good.” – Nicole Whitcomb, Associate Dean of Students

“Following what everyone else does is easy. It takes courage and guts to be different, but that will land you leagues ahead of your peers as you mature.” – Portia Heller, Instructor

“If you have to do something, there is no time like the present.” – Rachna Talwar, Legal Program Chair

“Eat your spinach. Don’t you want to grow up and be like Popeye?” – Dennis Gaynor, Business Program Chair

“If all your friends were jumping off a bridge into deep water, would you do that too?” –Richard Grossman, Internet Marketing Program Chair

“Always remember who you are, and never let anyone else’s doubt become your own.” – Rachna Talwar, Legal Program Chair

“Don’t treat others how you want to be treated.  Treat them how they want to be treated.” – Stacy Severson, Campus Director

“Beggars can’t be choosers.” –Troy LaFaye, Digital Video and Media Production Instructor

“Listen to all the advice your grandma gave me.” – Me, to my daughter

So Happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms out there! Enjoy your day…because Kid’s Day resumes on Monday.