Minnesota School of Business – Blaine campus hosted the third and final session of a Foundations of Social Media series held on campus. The final topic of discussion was Twitter. Mary “Bumblebee” Pokluda of Bumblebee Personal Assistants, a local social media expert, gave the training to over 30 Metro North Chamber of Commerce members.
Twitter is a real-time social media network that connects you to the news, stories, and discussions that you find interesting.
The group varied in their knowledge so Mary gave us 9 Twitter tips to give everyone a basic foundation of how Twitter works and how to use it.
- Twitter is a live feed, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- It is the fastest form of social media. Everything posts in real time.
- Posts = Tweets. There is a 140 character limit per Tweet.
- Your profile page displays your personal Twitter feed (feed = activity)
- You will see someone’s Tweets only if you are following them. Those who are following you will see your Tweets.
- You can send a private message directly to someone only if you are following each other.
- Hash-tags (#) – use them to follow others or have others follow you. You can make up your own hash-tag or search hash-tags already created at hashtags.org.
- You have the ability to reply, re-tweet, or e-mail a tweet by selecting “favorite,” which allows you to view all your favorites as a group so you don’t have to search for them individually.
- Un-follow or Block options are available for spam
“We are so pleased to offer this social media programming series,” said Lori Higgins, Metro North Chamber of Commerce president. “It meshes perfectly with our mission to provide educational opportunities to our members to help them grow their businesses.”
Stay tuned for the next level of Foundations of Social Media trainings – a deeper look at LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.