Student of the Quarter Enjoys Hands-On Learning

Posted by on April 27, 2013

Jamie St. Hilaire

A few weeks ago, we featured Robyn Januszewski as our first student of the quarter.  Read about Januszewski and the award that she received from Minnesota Campus Compact here

Our second student of the quarter is Jamie St. Hilaire.  St. Hilaire is scheduled to graduate in December, 2013 with an Associate in Applied Science in Medical Assisting.  She would have graduated earlier, but she takes the summers off to be home with her kids. 

St. Hilaire was nominated as student of the quarter by Michelle Barsness, Community Manager.  Barsness said, “I had the pleasure of being Jamie’s instructor during her first quarter at MSB-BC in Global Citizenship.  She frequently shared her opinions about both the local and global community that we are a part of.  It was refreshing to hear her thoughts.” 

“Jamie participated in a service-learning project for the non-profit organization Birthday Buddies.  She felt very passionate about the project and took the lead in her small group.  She helped to organize and at times single-handedly ran several food fundraisers at our campus throughout the quarter.  All profits from the fundraisers would help Birthday Buddies.” 

“Jamie is hardworking and extremely determined to do well in school.  She has received awards several times for her perfect attendance as well as accolades for her grades.  She is passionate about the medical field and will do phenomenal work after she graduates.”

As student of the quarter, St. Hilaire’s picture is hanging near the student lounge with a short write-up.  Here is what she had to say:

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?  After researching several schools I decided that MSB-BC was the school for me, since it was close to home and offered the program that I was interested in pursuing.

What is your favorite thing about attending and going to class at MSB-Brooklyn Center?  My favorite thing about MSB-BC is the small class sizes and the opportunity to get really hands on with the material we’re learning.  With many classes under 12 students in my program, you really get to know the instructor and your classmates, which makes for a very comfortable learning atmosphere!

What are your post-graduation plans/goals?  After graduation I would really like to get a job working as a Medical Assistant in an OB/GYN or Neonatologist office.   I am also considering continuing my education and possibly becoming an RN someday.

What are you involved with away from school?  Away from school, I am a busy wife and mom to four kids!  I have an 11 year old,  a 10 year old, and 8 year old twins who always keep me busy!

If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?  If I could go anywhere, it would be a toss up between Alaska and Hawaii.   I would love to visit Alaska to see the beautiful scenery and north woods atmosphere.  I would love to visit Hawaii also to see the beautiful scenery but to enjoy time in warmer weather and to enjoy the ocean!

We all wish Jamie the best of luck as she reaches the end of her program!