Breaking Barriers 365 Days a Year: One Student’s Story

Posted by on April 16, 2013

Jeremiah Sampah, business management degree student, is in his second quarter at Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee. Although his career emphasis is finance, he has a passion for helping others in need. That passion is what led Jeremiah to volunteer with People Serving People, a nonprofit organization whose mission is “to serve homeless children and their families and provide new opportunities for healthy, stable family life.”

Jeremiah’s initial involvement with the organization came from a service learning project in his Global Citizenship class. In a presentation following his service, Jeremiah shared with his classmates the following statistics he learned from People Serving People about the impact the organization made in 2011 alone:Jeremiah Sampah volunteers with People Serving People.

• 1,187 homeless families receive shelter at People Serving People
  • 59% of guests were children and 34% are under the age of 5 years old
  • 205,398 meals were served
  • Volunteers shared over 30,000 hours as meal servers, tutors, tech mentors, readers and more

People Serving People operates emergency shelters, supportive apartment communities, early childhood development programs, full service dining halls, a medical clinic, after school programs, life skills workshops, and much more.

“I was assigned to help at the meal service,” Jeremiah explained. “We served children, parents and adults 65 and over. The meal service operates 365 days a year including holidays. My favorite part of the experience was talking to these families and understanding why they are in need of help. Some of these families had to get help because they have been put in a situation with no fault of their own.”

Jeremiah added, “I chose to volunteer with People Serving People because I love helping people and enjoy the satisfaction I get when I help them. People Serving People helps families in need and also has a program to help families break through barriers and patterns that leads to poverty and homelessness.”

As a result of his time volunteering with People Serving People as part of his service learning project, Jeremiah continues to volunteer with the organization.

According to Jeremiah, “After serving, I have decided to volunteer at least once a month and I am enjoying every minute of it.”