How to Be a Leader? By Giving Back, Naturally

Posted by on April 4, 2013

Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center is proud to announce that our very own massage therapy student, Robyn Januszewski, has received the Presidents’ Student Leadership Award from Minnesota Campus Compact!

On April 1, 2013, Minnesota Campus Compact held its annual Summit and Awards Ceremony at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn.  According to their website, “Minnesota Campus Compact supports civic engagement and democratic renewal through its diverse network of colleges and universities.  We envision a state in which every student experiences service-learning or civic engagement, graduating with a determination to contribute to the public good; and every college or university is fully engaged with its communities, working together to educate citizens, solve problems, and build a strong democracy.”

degree in massage therapy

Robyn Januszewski

Each member campus of Minnesota Campus Compact has the opportunity to recognize recipients in the following three categories: Presidents’ Student Leadership Award, Presidents’ Community Partner Award, and Presidents’ Civic Engagement Steward Award.  As Globe University/Minnesota School of Business is considered one member of the organization, individual campuses sent in nominations for these three awards.

Januszewski received a certificate at the luncheon and awards ceremony. To showcase her to our entire Brooklyn Center campus, Januszewski will be featured as one of two students of the spring quarter.  Januszewski had the following to say in a recent question/answer session:

How did you feel about being nominated for the Presidents’ Student Leadership Award?  I was very humbled and honored to be chosen for the Student Leadership Award; however, I think that giving back to others is something that we should all do naturally. A wise man once told me that when you teach others, it only strengthens your own knowledge.  It’s something that I try to put to use every day as an MSB-Brooklyn Center student, which is why I love to help other students when I can.  It helps reinforce what I’ve learned and even gives me a deeper understanding of the subject.  As far as volunteering, I feel that giving your time is more valuable than any monetary donation you can make.  Giving money is great, but let’s face it, not everyone is in the position to do that these days.  When I give my time to a cause, I feel a deeper connection than what I would get out of it if I just gave them some cash.  I can usually see my work in action, and to me it’s much more valuable and makes me feel like I’ve made a difference.

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?  When I was looking for a school that taught massage, I needed some flexibility for my work schedule, and MSB-Brooklyn Center offered that. The location to my home was also a big plus.  But, what really attracted me was when I met with Stephanie Petersen, massage therapy program chair, and talked about the program with her.  I could tell by speaking with her that I would get a good education here.

degree in massage therapy

(From left) Michelle Barsness, Robyn Januszewski, Stephanie Petersen

What is your favorite thing about attending and going to class at MSB-Brooklyn Center?  I am at the point in my life where I know what I want to be “when I grow up!”  I’ve found something that I love to learn about—massage therapy—and I am passionate about learning every aspect of it that I can.  One of my favorite phrases is “I’m like a sponge! Fill me up with knowledge!”  So, I would say learning new things is what I enjoy most.  A very close second would be meeting new people and making new friends.  I’ve made some lifelong connections here.

What are your post-graduation plans/goals?  I would like to try a wide variety of different environments to “master my craft” before I settle into just one place.  Someday I hope to own my massage business, and I think I would like to teach others and hopefully get them as excited as I am about the wide world of massage therapy!

What are you involved with away from school?  Right now school takes up a lot of my time, but during the “summer month” (yes, like the only one we get here in Minnesota), I like spending time outdoors and boating with my fiance, Bob.  Being a sports fan and a transplant from Illinois, I can also be found rooting for the Bears, Blackhawks and Cubs!

If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?  I have always wanted to go to Necker Island in the Virgin Islands.  It’s the private island owned by Sir Richard Branson, and you can rent it for a week for a “small fee.”  The views look amazing, and I would love to take my family and some close friends there someday for a luxurious vacation.

Januszewski’s goal is to graduate this fall with an Associate in Applied Science in Massage Therapy degree.  Congratulations on the award, and best of luck!