5 Questions for a Health Care Management Graduate

Posted by on March 27, 2013

Chad Marek graduated from Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center on Friday, March 22, 2013, with perfect attendance, honors, and a bachelor’s degree in health care management.  Marek spoke at the ceremony about his time in school, and he gave his peers some advice for the future.

degree in health care management

Chad Marek recently earned a bachelor’s degree in health care management. His career goal is to be an administrator at a senior care facility.

Marek’s first piece of advice was to “be a neighbor and be involved.” This belief, he thinks, should be important to his classmates if they want to be successful as both citizens and professionals.  He credited the service-learning projects that he completed throughout his years at Minnesota School of Business and the volunteering he has done outside of school as ways that he has been able to give back to his community.  He urged his peers to also find ways to give back, which directly correlated to his second piece of advice of “paying it forward.”

Recently, we asked Marek a few questions so that we could highlight him on a wall on campus as a featured graduate. Here’s what he had to say.

1. Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?

I chose MSB-BC because of the small class sizes and commitment of faculty to my success when reentering college life after 15 years.  I also chose MSB-BC compared to other small private schools because of the organization of the campus and pledge to support me after graduation.

2. What was your favorite thing about attending and going to class at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?

I had about four quarters of classes at the Brooklyn Center campus – my favorite aspect of attending classes was the interaction with students and faculty.  I made new relationships and friendships which allowed opportunities like being selected by Michael Leonard to be a math tutor for fellow students.  I also enjoyed participating with the student government group and attending Hill Day at the [Minnesota] Capitol.

3. What are your post-graduation plans?

My post-graduate plans have been actively searching for an administrator position with a nursing home or senior assisted/independent living facility.  I have been on a few interviews since the  middle of March, and I am confident I will soon be a leader of a senior care facility.

4. What are you involved with away from school?

My interest outside of MSB-BC now that I have graduated is downhill skiing. I am taking my first vacation in three years to visit my younger sister in Portland, Ore., and we are going skiing at Mt. Hood.  I also enjoy taking my 19’ open bow runabout on Lake Minnetonka on the weekends and having family and friends join me while cruising the lake.  I love spending time with family and friends and reading for pleasure.  I like mystery novels; some of my favorite authors are Dean R. Koontz and Stephen King.

5. If you had any words of wisdom for our current students, what would those be?  

If you truly want to be successful and make the most out of your education, be committed to your education.  Sit toward the front of the class. Participate in class.  Ask for help – don’t guess!  Ask classmates, ask instructors or faculty – you are not in this alone; there is a lot of assistance, so just ask.  Communication is important in achieving your program diploma or degree as well as being successful in life – take those steps to learn the skills during your courses with MSB-BC and take learning activities seriously.  I didn’t earn my honors and perfect attendance by casually going through the motions.  I was involved.  I participated.  I was dedicated.  This attitude will definitely help you be a great student, a great person, and a great professional.

We wish Chad the best of luck in his future!  Stay tuned for our next blog post about our second graduate speaker, Kisha Triplett.