DECA Madness: How the Richfield Bracket is Shaping Up

Posted by on March 25, 2013

On February 26, the Minnesota School of Business-Richfield DECA team sent business degree program students Frankie De Pew and Alexia Roberts to participate in the state competition in Mankato.  Frankie and Alexia competed together in Business Ethics, as well as in solo competitions.

Frankie competed in Restaurant Management and Retail Management, and Alexia in Sales Management and Marketing Management. Alexia set a new record for overall awards won by any MSB-Richfield DECA member at a competition. And she accomplished this feat as a first-time competitor. Both Frankie and Alexia placed in the top 12 and were invited to participate at the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) Competition in Anaheim, Calif., on April 16-21.

Minnesota School of Business DECA

Frankie De Pew (left) and Alexia Roberts (right) advanced to DECA’s International Career Development Conference, held April 16-21 in Anaheim, Calif.

“DECA is a great nonprofit organization that will help improve your skills needed for a business career,” Alexia said. “If you are looking for an outlet to become active in community service, this organization is great, and it can really help when getting ready for your career.”

DECA offers students the opportunity to test out the skills they are learning every day in school, and challenges them in other ways as well. DECA’s mission statement is: DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.

“DECA helps me improve on my soft skills and build on the education I have received at school,” Alexia said. “It has given me the opportunity to network and improve my professional skills. Competing for me is a rush and a test of my knowledge and skills. It is important for me to always find improvement for myself, and DECA helps me to do that.”

The key to juggling extracurricular activities with school, work and family is balance, which can be challenging for many. But Frankie and Alexia are adamant that DECA is something that’s not only beneficial, but necessary, for business students.

“As the chapter president, I have to be the example, not just for my chapter, but for other students on campus,” Frankie said. “It can be tough, but I make it happen. I also have a great support system at home and that really helps. DECA is a great way to utilize the skills you are learning in school and life. DECA is something that all business students should experience.”

But the Richfield DECA team members face another challenge before they are able to go to Anaheim in April. The chapter needs to raise $1,700 to pay for travel, lodging and registration.  There will be a variety of fundraising events in the next month to try to raise the money they need to attend. Some of these upcoming events are:

• Change Drive – donate your loose change (reception desk)
  • Twins Tickets Presale – Choose from two games: May 11 and August 17 (see Dennis Gaynor)
  • Taco-in-a-bag and Chili Day – April 4 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. (student commons)
  • Staff and Faculty Jeans Week – Donate $5 and you can wear jeans for the second week of the quarter (reception desk)

“I’m thrilled that I have gained the education and experience I needed to place in state,” Alexia said. “With the support of everyone at school, I am confident that I can do well at Nationals, and that this experience will open doors to opportunities I didn’t think were possible.”