Elk River Student Gets Elected to VP of DECA’s Metro Region

Posted by on March 21, 2013

Minnesota School of Business-Elk River student, Kelly Flannery, was elected as the vice president of the Collegiate DECA’s Metro Region at the career conference in Mankato early this month.

Although Flannery didn’t place in her event for the conference, she said grabbing the VP spot was where her heart was.

DECA, business administration degree, business management degree“It was very exciting when it became official and I heard the news,” Flannery said. “I’m this great DECA success story and now I have the opportunity to share my story with others.”

Flannery, a dual business management degree and business administration degree student, has been involved with DECA for more than four years and has held almost every position within Elk River’s DECA program. 

Flannery says she initially joined DECA because a friend convinced her to, but looking back now, she says it was the best decision she ever made.

“Never in a million years did I think when I first started that I would be where I am today,” said Flannery.  “DECA has helped my confidence, public speaking and leadership skills.”

Flannery’s DECA advisor, Leslie Nicol, said she couldn’t be happier for her.

“I am so proud of Kelly with how well she represents Minnesota School of Business within the Minnesota DECA community,” Nicol said. “She will be an integral part to the leadership team and we are excited that she gets this opportunity.”

Once Flannery takes her leadership role for the metro region, she said her first task will be helping other DECA members start making their own DECA success stories.

Flannery will officially take office at the closing ceremony of the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in California this April.

For more information about DECA, visit the official DECA website.