How To Graduate Faster, Save Money and Start Making Money Sooner

Posted by on February 26, 2013

There is no doubt in my mind that many college students today would like to find the secret to graduate faster, save money and make money in their chosen careers sooner rather than later. 

At Minnesota School of Business in Elk River, a few students have already stumbled upon the “secret” to this mystery—it’s simple: take more credits.

I know you have kids, work a full-time job and go to school—you simply can’t take more than a few classes at a time…or can you?

business administration, minnesota school of business, graduate faster

Business administration student Nick Stalberger takes 19-21 credits per quarter, which will save him about $10,000 thanks to MSB's tiered tuition and 16-credit-cap.

“Can’t” isn’t a word in the dictionary of Nick Stalberger, a business administration degree student at Minnesota School of Business.  Nick takes on average of 19-21 credits per quarter, while being a single dad of two and working a full-time job.

“I didn’t know if I was going to be able to handle it at first,” said Nick. “But once I made my mind up to do it, I knew I could.”

By Nick taking an above-average credit load, not only will he graduate about a year ahead of his classmates, but he will save approximately $10,000 by utilizing the tiered tuition and 16-credit-cap Minnesota School of Business offers. Not to mention he will start making money in his chosen career sooner.

“My goal right away was to get my degree as fast as I can,” Nick said. “I figured that the quicker I can get through it, the quicker I can make money in a career – not a job.”

Here are Nick’s helpful hints for Minnesota School of Business students for how to make taking a larger credit load easier:

• Get your prerequisites out of the way right away so that they don’t restrict your schedule in the future.
  • Plan your schedule out smarter—I plan to have 2-3 days of classes a week, and that’s it.  Yes, they are long days, but it allows me to focus on my kids and work the other days of the week.
  • Know and use your support network–look at your parents, sisters, friends, cousins.  Don’t be afraid to ask them for help.
  • It does get stressful at times, but consider that you can get your degree done sooner and that it is less time of having homework.
  • You need to manage your time–look at your work schedule and school schedule and see where the gaps are, then fill the gaps with homework.
  • Study at night–put your kids to bed first, then study.  It’s prime time!
  • It is really important to know yourself—time out how long it takes you to write papers and read.

“In the end, all of the struggles will have led to a successful ending and a better life for your family,” says Nick.