Schluter Memorial Scholarship Winners: 3 Questions for 3 Nursing Students

Posted by on February 15, 2013

Three Minnesota School of Business-Richfield Bachelor of Science in Nursing program students were selected to receive the Schluter Memorial Scholarship. The recipients are Peter Vanderlinden, Alyssa Goodew, and Aliza Dettmer, and each of them will receive a $500 scholarship.      

The scholarship was set up in honor of Jan Schluter, a visionary nursing leader who championed the Baccalaureate Nursing Education. She was instrumental in developing the Minnesota School of Business Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. She established the scholarship to be awarded to deserving, non-traditional nursing program students.

And, once again, I had 3 questions for the 3 winners.

nursing program bachelorAlyssa Goodew

How/Why did you choose to pursue a nursing degree?

I chose nursing because I want to make a positive impact on the lives’ of others.  A healthy lifestyle is vital to a happy life.  I want to ensure everyone I work with is allowed the highest quality of life possible.

Why did you pick MSB for your nursing degree?

I selected MSB to complete my BSN because the staff and faculty are always supportive and want the students to succeed.  My professors teach from experience because of their previous nursing careers.  Everyone at MSB is personable and puts the students first.

What makes you a non-traditional nursing student?

I completed my first bachelor’s degree in health education from the University of Minnesota-Duluth.  After earning this degree, I discovered I wanted more patient interaction so I could have a greater impact on the person’s life.  I’ve always known that I love the health care field.  I decided nursing would be a great way to increase my patient interaction, but still use my previously acquired health education skills.

nursing program nurse program nurse degreeAliza Dettmer

I have chosen to pursue a degree in nursing because I am passionate about caring for others, and am fascinated by how the human body works. I also look forward to having a job that I can learn, grow, and advance in.

I chose MSB for their small classroom environment, and their successful NCLEX pass rate for their RN program.

I am a non-traditional student for many reasons, but having seven years of military experience definitely sets me apart from the average college student.

nursing program nursing degree nurse degree bachelor nursePete Vanderlinden

I chose to pursue a degree in nursing after meeting a man who was working as a nurse. This occurred years after giving up on any college career. I had dreams as a younger man of working as a paramedic or a doctor but medical school seemed too extensive and the job of a paramedic too… “thankless” is maybe the word I would use, or maybe too hard to raise a family while doing it. 

I chose MSB due to the 3-year bachelor option. I had all these pre-reqs acquired for entrance in a two-year degree. All of the two-year programs had long waiting lists and I realized that a three year program was very doable and made sense because I didn’t want to go back in a few years.

I am the only male in my cohort. I have a GED instead of a high school diploma. I started school at MSB when I was 23.