5 Timely Testing Tips for Reducing Stress

Posted by on February 13, 2013

Minnesota School of Business, stree relief
The week leading up to midterms always seems to be a very stressful time around Minnesota School of Business-Rochester. Students are busy preparing for multiple tests and that can be a very stressful time. The key to relieving some of the stress can be handled in a multitude of ways. Amy Doherty, veterinary technology program chair and resident stress destroyer, offers five helpful tips for getting the most out of your brain while stress is out to get you:  

• Don’t cram…

The use of time management skills becomes very important along with solid study habits. Cramming for an exam is not the best way to study. Cramming will only give you short-term memory recall, but it will not increase long-term knowledge. Students should study for short periods of time, but do it multiple times a day. Repetition moves short-term memory into lifelong learning. The more times we see information, the more likely we will retain it.

• Catch some zzzzzz’s…

Other areas that help students perform better on tests are consistent sleep patterns. Meaning, getting the recommended eight hours of rest without interruptions. Well-rested students have the ability to retain more information. At one time or another, we have all joked about the idea of falling asleep on a book is just osmosis learning. As cool as that could be, it is just fiction.

• Healthy food=brain power…

Another way to help students reduce the anxiety of taking tests is to eat healthy. Choose snacks that will give you energy instead of weighing you down. A good choice is a handful of almonds–can you say MEGA Brain Power–instead of a bag of potato chips. Simultaneously crush that bag of chips and tests by opening a bag of almonds!  

• Walking, water, wax, and words…

Going for a walk, exercising, taking a relaxing bath or reading a good book are just a handful of ways to take your mind off the stress and rejuvenate for the next study session. If you’re a student struggling with tests, please talk to your instructors. They have ideas on how to help you study or they will give you new ideas that might trigger ways to remember facts. There are also many resources for students in the campus student resource center.

• Relax…

The brain is powerful! Using it for good–creating positive thoughts–is just as easy as using it for evil–creating negative thoughts. Take control. Focus on the good things in life that are right in front of you and, just as important, develop thoughts that focus on positive outcomes. This will help your brain feel less cluttered and more clear. We call it happy testing!

Think that information like this coming from a teacher is invalid because instructors never stress? Well, take a look at some things fellow students are doing that have proven successful:

• I manage stress during midterms by making sure I get a good night’s sleep before tests. I study, study, study! The more I review, the more confident I feel. And I also tell myself ‘I can do this.’ This helps me remain calm. Tianna McWilliams, student    
  • While studying, I play music like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Additionally, if I get frustrated, I lay down with one hand on my chest, the other one on my stomach, and I take deep breaths through my nose and slowly exhale through my mouth. Or else I practice my karate skills (chop the stress away!).Tara Leonard, student
  • When times of stress are upon me, I step away from what I’m doing and do something else I enjoy to calm myself down. Then I go back to studying or whatever it was that caused my stress level to rise. Courtney Kyyra, student
  • I relieve stress by relying on my support network, which includes my wife, son and rest of my family. I also study in the quietest room while music is playing. Ethan Szydel, student

Ahh, now don’t you feel better! Now, go get those tests!

Are you ready to take on the rewarding stress of completing your college degree? Contact Admissions at 507-536-9500 to learn more.