Accounting Student: ‘I Look Forward to Achieving My Goals’

Posted by on February 12, 2013

accounting degree

Shadrick Cooper, accounting student

Last month we highlighted a health care management student as our first student of the winter quarter at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center. This month, we highlight our second student of the quarter, Shadrick Cooper, who is working on his bachelor’s in accounting degree

Cooper was nominated for the award by Alex Erolin, business program chair. Erolin said, “Shadrick has demonstrated deep intellectual curiosity and a high capacity for academic work. Shortly after volunteering as business program student coordinator, assisting me with class preparation and material creation, he designed a student survey instrument to gauge student sentiments and concerns in an effort to improve students’ educational experience at the Brooklyn Center campus.

“He volunteered to assist in conducting secondary research on various studies done on results of various teaching methods in post-secondary education. His insatiable thirst for learning and his continuous effort to realize his full potential as demonstrated by his work beyond his course load are commendable. He exemplifies the quality talent that employers look for in their job applicants.”

Cooper said the following during his question/answer session:

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center?  I chose MSB-Brooklyn Center because it had the right academic program I was looking for (accounting), it is close to my home, and it fits with my daily schedule. Most of all, the professors, faculty, and staff members at MSB-BC are dedicated to the students’ success.

What is your favorite thing about attending and going to class at MSB-BC?  The teachers, faculty, and staff members are my favorite thing about attending and going to classes at MSB-BC. They check on each of their students almost every quarter to see how they are doing in their field and find ways to help with any feedback, whether that involves the student’s life, choosing a program, tutoring, searching for jobs, transportation, and so on.  I feel the members of MSB-BC won’t stop caring for the students until they are successful and/or graduate.

What are you post-graduation plans/goals?  I want to pursue a career as a professional accountant in business or government or in a business field such as management consulting or financial management.  I want to help keep people from financial problems, help them save for retirement, and teach them where their money goes. After I have completed college, I would like to come back to earn my master’s degree in business management in order to own my own practice. I look forward to achieving my goals.

What are you involved with away from school?  Away from school, I spend my time with friends and family and get involved with sporting games such as soccer and basketball. 

If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?  If I could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, I would choose Rio de Janeiro.  It is the second largest city of Brazil.  It has one of the most stunning settings in the world, and I would see some of the best museums and galleries.  I would also visit the restaurants, mountains, forests, and islands.

Cooper is scheduled to graduate in December 2015, and we wish him the best of luck!

We highlight two students each quarter at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center.  A short write-up and photo of the students can be found hanging right outside of the student lounge. 

Learn more: Is an accounting major right for you?