Classroom Therapy Cures Mental Health Professional, Part II

Posted by on February 8, 2013

Last month, my time spent with Ken Sell, adjunct faculty member, was so engaging that I broke it into two blogs. Here is part two so you can learn even more about Minnesota School of Business-Rochester’s most beloved teacher:

The classroom is a place of learning and moments of silly fun, as you surely have experienced. Do you have a funny moment or two that you could share?

One funny moment occurred with my use of “The Awakennater,” which is a little bicycle horn I use to help those students who suffer from attention-deficit problems to stay awake while in class. I had a female student whom I definitely succeeded in putting into a sleeping coma during my lecture. I could tell by the loud snoring sounds she made. In the process of using “The Awakennater,” she literally fell out of her seat and onto the floor. Thank goodness she did not experience any serious injuries! I think she did eventually graduate with highest honors!

Minnesota School of Business

Frankly, what is it about you that makes you so popular with MSB students? Don’t be modest!

I don’t know if I am that popular! I I’m sure that would be open to much debate.  But if so, it is probably because I am an easy grader! All kidding aside, I would hope, if I am popular, it is because the students know I genuinely care about them and their success. I take the time to get to know them as a person, I challenge them in the courses I teach, I am fair, I have fun with them, and they can take the information I teach and practically apply it, not only in their professional lives, but also in their personal lives. I would hope that my teaching would make them a better person.

Dream job: if you could pick one thing to do as a profession for one week, what would that be and why?

Ah, allowing my fantasy world to run wild! That could be dangerous! I would probably have to say that my dream job would consist of me being a famous musician and/or entertainer. Music and comedy have always been a very important part of my life. I have always fantasized about being a famous musician or famous comedian, and if not for my obvious lack of talent, one would have been my chosen profession.

Speaking to the hundreds of minds you have molded over the years, imagine you’re a graduation speaker and you have one last chance to impart words of wisdom. What would you say?

Maintain your priorities and your core values: faith, family, friends, honesty, genuineness, warmth, empathy, and openness to experience. Make relationships your priority and, by all means, make memories! I have never heard of anyone, at the end of their lives, being excited about taking all of the junk they have accumulated with them–and that also goes for status. Status is fleeting and oftentimes illusory. Status often serves as a substitute for love – but it can never fully fulfill as love can – and love only occurs in deep relationship with others.  Make that, developing deep relationships with others and memories, your top priorities.

Here are what some students have to say about their experience with Ken:

One of the most fun and engaging teachers I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting

Jorden Finne, IT student

Ken is a fun instructor to have at MSB. He keeps class interesting and is never afraid to tackle a question that a student may have.  He wants everyone to understand the information and he uses our own lives as examples for us to be able to apply the information to a relatable context.  

Jessica Bremseth, business student

Ken Sell has been an awesome teacher for all the classes I have had with him. I really enjoyed going through the in-depth psychology topics and listening to his personal experiences. I found his insights very helpful and timely and would highly recommend him as an instructor for any course.

Timothy Myers, IT student

Ken Sell is an amazing teacher, and he is also there for his students for any advice they might need. He was able to give me some great advice that helped me figure out something that I had struggled with for years and get my life back on the path that I wanted to be on.

Angela Kesler, veterinary technology student

Interested in learning more about what Ken Sell’s teaching style can do to change your life? Contact MSB-Rochester at 507 536-9500 for more information.