AVID in Full Swing

Posted by on January 29, 2013

As the fourth week of the quarter begins, the Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center campus would like to take the opportunity to update everyone on a few pieces of “AVIDy” goodness.  We are excited for this new endeavor and want you to be as well!
AVID
Hopefully if you are a student at the campus, you are fully aware of what the AVID program is. If you need a refresher, check out this blog post from November when we made the official announcement that implementation would begin in January 2013.

In December, we hosted our first group of students from the K-12 sector. Sixty sixth graders from Northeast Middle School in Minneapolis, Minn., spent the morning learning about our campus and the programs we offer.  Check out the story here.  Just a few days after the students visited, the campus received a handwritten thank-you note from each sixth grader.  We wanted to share some of their thoughts with our readers.

• “Thank you for a very educational field trip.  We all enjoyed it, and it widened my look on potential jobs.  I never really thought of using a computer as being its own job!  I’ll never forget the great experience I had at your school.”
  • “Thank you for a fun field trip.  I learned that this is the school for me.  I also learned I want to be in the medical field.  I will never forget this trip.”
  • “…I’ll never forget that MSB holds many opportunities for me.”
  • “I was really glad to experience classes in session with the teachers.  I learned a lot.  One thing I like the best about your school is that you are an AVID college.”
  • “…I’ve never felt more welcome on a field trip.  Most of all it was really exciting to see my students interacting with yours in classrooms.  I think that they also felt right at home.  More than other trips, you sent a clear message to my students that they can fit in and belong on a college campus.” (sixth grade teacher)

We are thrilled that the visit was a positive one, and we are excited to host our next group of students!

While several instructors tested out AVID strategies throughout the past quarter, all instructors at the Brooklyn Center campus are now using as many techniques as possible.  Some of the strategies that our students have seen are:

• Cornell Notes
  • 10-2
  • KWL
  • Socratic Seminars
  • Jigsaw
  • 3-2-1
  • Empty the Cup

Staff and faculty members are continuously receiving training on AVID strategies to ensure that our students are benefiting in every way possible. 

During week two of the quaAVIDrter, the Brooklyn Center AVID Learning Connection held its grand opening.  The Learning Connection is located in room 210 and is a place for students to study as well as get the help that they might need.  Specific assistance is available for writing, math, and medical courses.  However, staff and faculty are present in the room throughout most of the week to assist students whenever possible. 

Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center is thrilled to be the third college in Minnesota to offer AVID for Higher Education.