Student of the Quarter: Health Care Management Degree-Seeker

Posted by on January 28, 2013

It is that time of the quarter again at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center when we highlight our first featured student of the quarter.  Students are nominated by staff and faculty as individuals who have shown extra effort in and out of the classroom.  The students have their picture and a short interview hanging on the wall near the student lounge.

health care management degreeMaria Young is a health care management degree student and was nominated by Michael Zdychnec, health care management program chair.  Her name may be familiar to our readers because we recently wrote about an applied learning project that Maria completed at the Earle Brown Terrace.  Read more about that project here.

Zdychnec said, “Maria is an exceptional health care professional who will be using her health care management degree to further her career in the health care industry. She is an exceptional student who is able to apply her experience and knowledge to her studies in the health care management program. Maria exhibits exceptional leadership and collaboration skills with others in her classes and will continue to contribute a great deal to the MSB-Brooklyn Center campus and ultimately to the ever-changing health care industry.”

Young said the following during her question/answer session:

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center? 
I chose MSB after speaking with Michael [Zdychnec], the health care management program chair. He really helped me to finalize my decision by showing me how my current skills could be incorporated into the program as well as help me succeed at achieving my goals.

What is your favorite thing about attending and going to class at MSB-BC?  My favorite thing would have to be the flexibility that MSB offers for the adult learner.  Also, there is always staff available to help you when you need it.

What are your post-graduation plans/goals?  I haven’t made any final decisions about after graduation. I feel confident that as I progress in my studies I will know exactly what I want and will be equipped to go after my dream job.

What are you involved with away from school?  Away from school I am a mother to three wonderful kids ages 20, 15, and 11. I also currently work full time as a Medicare nurse at a Skilled Nursing Facility. When I have the time, I enjoy reading (not textbooks).

If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why?  If I could go on vacation anywhere in the world, I would love to go to Kenya on safari.

Young is scheduled to graduate in December 2015, and we wish her the best of luck!

Next month, we will highlight our second student of the quarter who is enrolled in the accounting program.