5 Things You Should Know About…Me

Posted by on January 24, 2013

So I’ve found myself in this predicament of wanting to make a somewhat belated introduction to my new community at Minnesota School of Business-Richfield, yet I’m not knowing exactly how to approach it. How does a person interview oneself? Will I seem completely vain if I dedicate an entire post to talking about, well, me rather than, say, our awesome 3-year BSN nursing program or game and application development program?

Minnesota School of Business-RichfieldI’ve decided to go for it. Not because I enjoy the spotlight (quite the contrary), but because I want you to know what I can do for you. I want my role to clear, and to break down those strange blogger barriers where you feel like you might know the voice and not the person.

So, here we are. Me interviewing me (not weird at all).

Meet Hillary Brodsky, the new Community Manager.

1. What do you do here? What’s a “Community Manager”?

I’m here to tell the story of MSB-Richfield. I want the community (both on-campus and beyond) to know about all that our students and staff and faculty do. Because you all do a lot of really cool things that are worth sharing. I’m here to tell your story. Our story. The story of MSB-Richfield.

2. So what you’re saying is that you get to fiddle around on Facebook all day?

Yep! That’s part of what I do. I manage our online communities. It’s all a work in progress, but I hope to have interactive and interesting content that makes people want to “like” us on Facebook without being forced into it. But if they need a little bribery, I plan to start giving prizes and having contests in the very near future.

3. I have a great story. What do I do about it?

Tell me! The only way I can know about everything that’s going on is if people are talking about it. Shoot me an email. Stop by my desk (5th floor!). Send it via carrier pigeon. However you feel most comfortable. But please don’t hesitate to tell me.

4. You made the new faculty answer this question – now it’s your turn. What’s your story?

Well, thanks for asking. Now, let’s see. I grew up in the Midwest (born in Illinois; moved to Iowa when I was 9; moved back to Illinois when I was nearly 16 – a torturous time to move, and something for which I think I’ve only recently forgiven my parents). I have a couple of degrees in writing. After grad school, I moved to NYC, and I worked in publishing. Then I moved to Boston for a few years. In August of 2012, my husband, our then 8-month-old, and myself sold our house, packed a U-Haul, and drove from Boston to Minneapolis.

5. What else should we know about you?

Sometimes I look like I’m frowning, but really, my mouth just turns down. I love learning and plan on being a collector of master’s degrees. You can visit me in the Resource Center on Mondays from 10-12. I want to be your friend (really!).

I’m happy to take questions from people other than myself! So, if you have a real question, please see #3! I’m happy to be here, and I can’t wait to tell your story.