Giving It the Old College Try: Paralegal Grad Finds Success

Posted by on January 16, 2013

Dana Mueller graduated from Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center on Dec. 21, 2012.  She not only participated by walking across the stage during the graduation ceremony when her name was called, but she was also the student speaker for the event.  Mueller graduated with an associate paralegal degree.

paralegal degreeDuring her speech, Mueller explained that she tried a local community college right after high school and unfortunately failed that attempt.  She decided to try college again two years later and called Minnesota School of Business.  Mueller told the audience that the phone call was “probably one of the best decisions of my life, because they got me on track to start the beginning of the rest of my life.” 

Recently, we asked Mueller a few questions so that we could highlight her on a wall on campus as a featured graduate. Here’s what she had to say. 

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center? 

I chose MSB-BC initially because it was right around the corner from my house.  Shortly after I started, I realized there was a much bigger reason why I continued my education with MSB through graduation.  I genuinely felt that the staff and the faculty were on this journey with me.  They really cared how I was doing not only on an educational level but a personal level.  Also, the classes were intimate, and I could always get all of my questions answered.  I always left class with a good understanding of what was taught.  MSB-BC is one of the biggest reasons I have been so successful the last couple of years.

What was your favorite thing about attending and going to class at Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center? 

My favorite thing about going to class at MSB-BC was the interactive learning.  I took all night and online classes and that can be hard on top of working full time.  I was always exhausted, but when classes started, the faculty did a great job of making sure the classes stayed exciting and entertaining.  Every time I left class, I felt like I learned something that would help me not only in my career but in my everyday life.

What are your post-graduation plans? 

My post-graduation plans are to continue working in my field.  I started working as a paralegal a year before I graduated, and I could not be happier with my career.  I love what I do, and that makes every day that much better.  (Mueller is working at the The Law Office of Thomas D. Mottaz as a paralegal.)

What are you involved with away from school?  

Away from school I spend a lot of time with my family. I have three sisters and six nephews and nieces.  We get together all of the time, and now that it is winter, we spend a lot of time outdoors going sledding, watching football, having big dinners, and just enjoying each others’ company.  I also try to travel as much as possible. I visit Arizona a couple of times a year, which is where one of my sisters lives.  I plan to make it all over the world before settling down to have a family.

If you had any words of wisdom for our current students, what would those be?  

My words of wisdom for the other students would be to always try your best and push to go that extra mile because in the end if you cheat, take short cuts, or don’t try your best, you are only cheating yourself;  you are the only one that suffers.  Also don’t ever regret anything.  Take the lesson that is offered in every mistake.

We wish Dana the best of luck in her future!