5 Questions for a Massage Therapy Enthusiast

Posted by on January 10, 2013

massage therapy degree
Abbigail Shaver will earn her associate massage therapy degree at  Minnesota School of Business-Rochester in March 2013. Abby lives life to the fullest every day. With a wanderlust personality and kindness of heart that is welcoming to all who enter her life, Abby is excited about the next phase of her life.

In an atypical moment of catching her idle during her whirlwind life, I convinced her to take a time-out so that our readers could enjoy some relaxing tidbits about Abby. Enjoy! 

Why did you choose massage therapy as a profession?

As far as the science behind anatomy, I’ve always been fascinated by the human body. What attracted me to the field of massage therapy is learning about muscles and how this knowledge can aid in improving healthy living for people. Although learning about all of the body’s muscles was a challenge, it’s a challenge that has been very rewarding because I now understand how they work, which does wonders for talking about the benefits of massage with customers.

What’s your favorite aspect of massage therapy?

I enjoy helping clients the most with learning about the value of massage in general and how preventive they can be in maintaining a healthier lifestyle. What is important to share is that massage is more than just about the physical healing aspect. Included with the holistic approach of massage therapy is the stress management part. I like to consider it relaxing mental therapy that takes minimal effort!

What did you enjoy most about the MSB-Rochester massage therapy degree program?

The whole thing! MSB makes me feel like I’m more than just a number. It’s small for a reason, so all the faculty and staff know us, and I want it to stay small! The school also does more than teach students about technical skills. There are multiple classes that teach us how to be better people by volunteering and also training that focuses on how to refine our soft skills for eventual employment. In sum, MSB is awesome, or, how I normally say it, the bomb!

What type of setting do you want to work in?

I’m a high-energy person, so it has to be a place that is like that. My externship was at a spa/salon, where all the people are relaxed and happy, so this would be a great place to work because it’s a great fit. The internship reinforced my feeling that this type of setting will be right for me as a job.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I want to find balance. Honestly, living in Australia surrounded by kangaroos would be my dream! I’m sure that I’ll still be working as a massage therapist, but at least I’ll be living in a place that fits my care-free spirit and energetic personality.