Tastefully Done! Student Designs Sweet Logo for Small Business

Posted by on December 26, 2012

Kristin Axel, a student earning an interactive media and graphic design degree at Minnesota School of Business-Richfield, was awarded the chance to design a logo for AnnMarie Bakeshop, a local small business located in Bloomington, Minn.

graphic design degreeThough AnnMarie Bakeshop is an established company that creates specialty cakes and cupcakes, known for tasting as good as they look, owner Kim Sabers was still in need of a logo. Interactive Media and Graphic Design Program Chair Nicole Nelson presented this opportunity to her students.

The challenge for Kristin was to design something that not only reflected Kim’s personality but also AnnMarie Bakeshop’s product.  “My inspiration was really from listening to what was needed and wanted within the design itself,” Kristin said. “I tried to keep it clean and simple.”

When it was finished, Kim and Kristin had successfully created a logo that encompassed the perfect combination of Kim’s style and AnnMarie Bakeshop’s product. “We worked together to make sure she had the very best option for her brand,” Kristin said.

“My experience working with the graphic design student on a logo for my small business was really great,” Kim said. “Everyone I came in contact with from the director, professor, and students were so friendly and helpful. I’m thrilled with how everything turned out.”

This type of experience is one of the many advantages of MSB’s focus on hands-on learning. Not only has Kristin used her talents to help a local business, but she has also added to her professional portfolio. Building relationships within the local community is also an important mission at MSB. Finding creative ways to do so is beneficial for both students and the community.

“I am always thrilled to see my design on someone’s product,” Kristin said. “The best part is knowing the client is excited about their design for their company. It’s a very overwhelming and rewarding feeling!”