Apples, Pies & Cookies Draw $1,000 For a Family in Need

Posted by on December 26, 2012

veterinary technology degreeWhen veterinary technology degree students from Minnesota School of Business-Blaine learned of the struggle of a fellow veterinary technician’s daughter, they decided to help. The group raised $1,000 during fall quarter to support Abby, a young girl battling leukemia. Abby’s mother, Tricia Stobbs, is a veterinary technology instructor at MSB.

“When we were informed with the news of Abby’s illness we decided that we should have a few fundraisers to help out,” said Angela Buettner, veterinary technology faculty, and advisor of MSB-Blaine’s Student Chapter of the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America (SCNAVTA). “With the assistance of Sara Croft, SCNAVTA put together a few fundraisers during the quarter to raise as much money as we could for Abby and her family.”

In October, the group held a caramel apple and cider sale. In November they had a pie sale. And in December they held a bowling event and three-day cookie sale. The veterinary technology department also donated their Hills Food sales profit throughout the whole quarter.

Bonni Robilliard, Certified Veterinary Technician and an instructor at the Blaine campus, contributed to the cause by dying her hair pink. Students had the opportunity to pay a dollar to vote on the color Bonni’s hair would be dyed. “Initially the contest was about my weight loss goal,” explained Bonni. “If I reached my goal, the students would vote on the color for me to dye my hair. But when I heard about Abby, I had to change plans and do this as a fundraiser for her.”

Angela added, “SCNAVTA wanted to thank everyone who helped raise money for Abby this quarter. Thanks to all who donated and participated! It was much appreciated.”