Faculty Spotlight: Paralegal Graduate Comes Back to Teach

Posted by on December 21, 2012

Jenn Dull, Paralegal, Minnesota School of Business-ShakopeeMinnesota School of Business is excited to welcome an outstanding and inspiring paralegal graduate back to teach as an adjunct instructor in the paralegal degree program! Jennifer (Jenn) Dull is a two-time Globe University graduate, having first achieved an Associate in Applied Science degree in Paralegal Studies in June 2007 and then a Bachelor of Science degree in Paralegal Studies in June 2011. 

When I approached Jenn about the possibility of teaching Legal Terminology this quarter, she did not hesitate to say “yes” in spite of the fact that she was working three other jobs including working as a full-time paralegal. 

Jenn’s legal experience began when she completed an internship for attorney Diane Dodd in 2007.  While interning with Diane, Jenn worked on numerous juvenile and criminal law cases.  Reflecting back on her internship, Jenn said, “Diane taught me so much and was a great mentor. I don’t know where I would be without her.” 

Jenn obtained her first full-time paralegal job shortly after graduating with her associate degree, which was not surprising to those of us who know her.  Jenn was hired at the reputable law firm LeVander, Gillen & Miller, P.A., in October 2007, and still works at LeVander today.  Her experience over the last five years with LeVander has been focused in eminent domain, real estate and land use, and municipal law, but she has touched many other practice areas as well.

In 2008, Jenn came back to Globe University to earn her Bachelor of Science Degree in Paralegal Studies at the Woodbury campus.  During enrollment in the bachelor’s program, Jenn frequently volunteered as a guest speaker in various paralegal classes, spent time as a paralegal mentor in the school and community, and was a member of several Globe University/Minnesota School of Business Program Advisory Committees helping further the paralegal degree program and the profession.  Jenn has also spent many hours volunteering for Neighbors, Inc. Clothes Closet and is a Recording Secretary for the City of West St. Paul. 

In addition to her volunteer work, Jenn is an active paralegal member of the Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA), the Minnesota Paralegal Association (MPA), and the National Federation of Paralegal Associations (NFPA).  She has attended many MPA sectional meetings and continued her legal education as much as possible.  

When not working or volunteering (which isn’t often), Jenn enjoys motorcycle rides, reading, and spending time with her daughter, Caly, who is in 6thgrade.  Jenn and Caly go shopping, have “girls’ days” and play games, and also have debates. 

When asked why she wanted to come back to teach, Jenn had the following to say:  “Because I have enjoyed being such an active Globe/MSB alumni, I decided I would try teaching and it has been a wonderful and rewarding experience. Thank you Gabrielle and Kira for taking a chance on me! I have loved every minute of teaching thus far. And to my very first class of Legal Terminology students, you know who you are, thank you for making my experience very memorable and enjoyable. I can only hope that I will be around teaching for a while. Don’t forget to say hi if you see me, and Happy Holidays, everyone!”

By Gabrielle Reule, Minnesota School of Business Lakeville and Shakopee, Paralegal Program Chair