Horrible Singing Offers a Lesson in Networking

Posted by on December 19, 2012

Who Will be the Next Idol?  We Were.  How Did We Do It?  Networking.

I am not a very good singer and normally wouldn’t sing in front of anyone other than my pets (who really don’t even like to hear me sing).  But when I found out the fall quarter Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee Idol contest took place the week of Thanksgiving, I decided I wanted to try to give our students a little show by “singing” Adam Sandler’s Thanksgiving song. (You can read more about our fun contest here.)

Unfortunately, no one else seemed to know the song well enough to want to give it a try with me.  Luckily, Lexi Gorshe came to the rescue and said she knew Adam Sandler’s Lunch Lady Land, and we mustered up the guts to grab some costumes and get on that stage.

Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee, Melissa Faue, Networking, Shakopee IdolOnce our silly video clip was posted on Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee Facebook page, I was determined to win this contest.  Adjunct instructors Bill Hire and Jay Moore and High School Representative Scot Moncur dominated us with their singing talents.  These guys can really sing.  Still, I wanted us to win that little trophy.  We got on a stage full of people, wore rubber gloves, flailed around spatulas and ladles, sang horribly . . . and won that little gold microphone statue!

So, how did we do it? We won by networking.

The scores: Scot received 12 votes, Jay received 9 votes, Bill received 9 votes, and Lexi and I received 23 votes.

I got on my personal Facebook page and networked to friends, family, and all of those other random people I have on my friends list (we all have them).  I was persistent.  I didn’t stop at spending one day reaching out to my Facebook friends; I promoted Lexi and me daily.  We got 23 votes, 7 of which are not even associated with Minnesota School of Business.  They are now!

There were even more votes from my family and friends out in Facebook land, but I didn’t give the best instructions for voting so those votes aren’t included in the finally tally.  I will make sure they get to the Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee Facebook page next quarter to see that we are about business and more–we like to have a little fun, too.

This is a little lesson in networking.  It’s easy!

1. First, you reach out to those closest to you like friends and family.
  2. Then, you reach out to those you see on a frequent basis or have easy access to like your coworkers, those on your athletic teams, those who attend your place of worship, your hairstylist, your dental hygienist, other parents at your children’s school, and all of those random ‘friends’ you have on Facebook.  It is that easy.

I challenge anyone out there who is a job seeker to try this easy networking.  Tell everyone you know that you are searching for a job, what type of job you are searching for, and what your qualifications are.  Post it on Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter, or any other social networking site.  See how many responses you get and share it with us on the Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee Facebook page.

By Melissa Faue, Director of Career Services at Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee