Massage Therapy & Accounting – A Perfect Marriage?

Posted by on December 18, 2012

After more than 20 years in the accounting industry, a Becker resident pursues a lifelong dream of opening her own massage therapy business while finishing massage training at Minnesota School of Business in Elk River.   

“Accounting was just a safe zone for me,” said massage therapy student Angela Jones. “The healing aspects of massage and energy work were always my passion.”

massage training, massage school, massage therapy

Massage student Angela Jones

Fueled with energy, years of pent-up motivation and just a few short quarters of massage training left, Jones opened Bodyworx Healing Therapies this month.

When asked why she wanted to open her own business versus joining a spa or clinic that offers massage, Jones said she wanted the ability to do things her own way.

“I didn’t want to be in a spa or clinic setting because I wanted to focus on therapeutic-based techniques,” said Jones, “and there aren’t very many massage shops that have that holistic focus that I wanted.”

Jones said her focus is on overall health of the body, mind and soul.  She plans to offer massage modalities like Swedish, deep tissue, prenatal, geriatric, reflexology, and sports. Additionally, she will offer more energy-based modalities like reiki and aroma therapy.

Plus, Jones said she has her accounting background to help with the business side of things, which is something that most massage therapists don’t have.

According to one of Jones’ massage instructors, opening her own business was no surprise.

“I knew from the start that Angela would be very successful at massage,” said instructor Celina McKenzie. “She has a natural gift for what she does that radiates from her.”

Jones’ business, Bodyworx Healing Therapies, is located in Becker, Minn.

For more information on Bodyworx, visit