What’s Your Favorite Holiday Tradition?

Posted by on December 12, 2012

holiday traditionsEvery year my family does the same exact thing for Christmas.  Every year. Same thing. You would think that after doing the same event for the past 25+ years, one would grow old of it and want to try something new. Not this gal. I love holiday traditions.

From watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation the night before Christmas Eve  to searching the house for my one “Santa” gift that my mom hides Christmas morning—I love traditions!

There is just something comforting to me about holiday traditions, like when the world is falling apart, I know that come this time of year, all is right in the world.

My family has a handful of family traditions they do around this time of year, and I discovered that many staff and students at Minnesota School of Business-Elk River have many interesting traditions as well!

Here are some of their traditions:

• My family owns a local restaurant, so every Christmas Eve we close the restaurant, but invite local bachelors or those who don’t have family to be with.  It has turned into kind of a big deal in our small town!
  • Every Christmas morning, before we go anywhere, Bitsy, my dog, and I snuggle up on the couch with blankets and watch Christmas Vacation! (Another Christmas Vacation fan–I like it!)
  • After we eat and before we open presents, we take all of the kids on a sled ride around the neighborhood. We even did it a few years ago when there was a huge blizzard outside!
  • Mine is making Christmas cookies (all types – spritz, krumkake, mint peppermint snaps, etc.) and reading “The Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitcher” each year while we make cookies.
  • My family opens presents one at a time.  After each present everyone MUST clap!
  • We try to incorporate a bit of each of our heritages into our holiday celebrations—here are a few:
  • Norwegian heritage:  We eat a rice pudding with one single almond in it.  Whoever gets the almond wins traditionally a marzipan pig which symbolizes good luck for the next year
  • German heritage:  We hide a pickle in the tree and the child who finds the pickle gets an extra gift
  • Swedish heritage: We eat a traditional Swedish meal of Jul Korv (Swedish potato sausage), various fish, potatoes and Swedish cookies
  • Polish: We break Oplatek bread (stamped communion wafer) where one person gives you a toast for good health or fortune, you break a piece of their bread and you eat it.

One of my favorite traditions at the campus is our holiday potluck where everyone brings something to eat.  Our Student Accounts Representative, Darlene, brings miniature dessert hamburgers and French fries – delicious!

What holiday tradition are you looking forward to this year?