December is absolutely one of my favorite times of the year—not because it involves holiday time with family or that I usually take a whole week off during the month, but because there are so many neat community happenings taking place around Elk River during December. Check out a few of my favorites:
Saturday, December 1st, 2012
- Zimmerman kicks off the season right with a “Celebrate the Season” event, complete with a horse-drawn wagon, tree-lighting ceremony, and always a hit – Santa on a fire truck!
- If you prefer to stay in Elk River, then check out the, “Light It Up, Elk River” event held at River’s Edge Commons Park. Join Mayor Dietz as he lights up a large decorated tree, listen to the harmonious tones of a local choir, and drop off a new toy for the Gifts Anonymous program.
- Looking for something a little more interactive? Then head over to the Oliver Kelley Farm and learn how to make toys from the 19th century! $5 will get you all of the materials needed to build a ball-and-cup game, buzz saws, pick-up sticks or corn husk dolls.
Friday, December 7th, 2012
- Want to know what will put you in the holiday spirit? Christmas with the Land of Lakes Choirboys will do it! Jive to the joyous notes of the choirboys, starting at 7 p.m., at St. Andrew’s Catholic Church in Elk River.
- In more of a movie mood? Head over to the Otsego Prairie Center at 7 p.m. and enjoy “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” in the comfort of your own car—FREE!
Saturday, December 8th, 2012
- Santa Clause is coming to town – Otsego town! Head over to the Prairie Center for cookies and hot chocolate with Santa and a horse-drawn sleigh ride. It is the perfect opportunity to get a professional picture of your kids with “the big guy” to enjoy for years to come!
Saturday, December 15, 2012
- Kids will love this one! Bring them over to the River’s Edge Commons Park in Elk River from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. so they can see reindeer, camels, sheep and deer! The little ones can also drop their letters to Santa in the North Pole mailbox.
- This is a MUST! Get the family together and go see the North Ballet Youth Company’s performance of “The Nutcracker” at Zabee Theatre in the Elk River High School. Performances are at 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
December 14th, 15th, 16th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 2012
- Looking for a new family tradition? This is it! Head over to Princeton’s Northern Lights Ballroom and Banquet Center to enjoy a classic–“A Christmas Carol” Dinner Theater. Call 320-396-5059 for information on tickets. This dinner theater is being hosted by Giant Steps Productions and Community Education.
This is just a small sampling of some of my local favorite events around this time of year. I encourage you to check out the Star News on a weekly basis for additional events that pop-up.
Enjoy a wonderful season of great community happenings!