Pathways to Social Responsibility

Posted by on November 28, 2012

Students enrolled in the Global Citizenship class with Julie Kresh at Minnesota School of Business-Blaine recently completed their applied learning project with Family Pathways in Forest Lake. Family Pathways is a nonprofit organization offering senior services, basic life services, youth services, special events, and thrift stores to local communities in Chisago County, Isanti County, Kanabec County, Mille Lacs County, Pine County, and the City of Forest Lake.

social responsibility, minnesota school of businessThe students, Ashlee McCay, Jessica Trevino, Paul Storvick, and Chris Hyland (pictured), enjoyed their time working in the food pantry, assisting customers with their shopping and sorting through donations to ensure expired items were removed.

In Global Citizenship, students are tasked with practicing active citizenship and social responsibility through community engagement, which makes this project a perfect fit for the class. Throughout the experience, students record their reflections in journal entries. Upon completion of the project, students write a final reflection paper in addition to sharing their experience with the campus community as a presentation. The students’ reactions are included below.

Ashlee McCay: “Volunteering for Family Pathways Food Shelter was such an honor. Just knowing that what we as a group were doing would help so many families in need felt great! Even though we were only there for a short period of time helping out, I personally feel that we impacted the community greatly!”

Jessica Trevino: “Family Pathways made me very thankful for the things I have and reminded me to not take things for granted. It was an honor to help people get food for the holidays and make their holidays special. It inspired me to help out my local community.”

Paul Storvick: “It was nice to help people and it was a fun experience. This experience showed us how some businesses work. Nonprofit or not, it was nice to talk to the community partner about how they run the organization.” 

Chris Hyland: “The time that I have spent with this organization has influenced me to help out more in the community and made me humbled. It was a lot of fun and I would love to participate in something like this again.”