Do YOU make the Cut?

Posted by on November 28, 2012

AIGA design campBy Nicole Nelson, Interactive Media and Graphic Design Program Chair, Minnesota School of Business – Richfield campus

I was surrounded by some of the world’s best designers at the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Minnesota design camp . The legendary Paula Scher opened the weekend with an inspiring presentation about her need to always find a breakthrough. Local legend, Eric Madsen delivered a speech that brought the audience to tears with his genuine humbleness and raw talent. British great, Simon Collison, had us thinking about responsive design. Chip Kidd, a batman lover and book designer, had the audience laughing so hard we cried.  I met up with former MSB graphic design graduate Amanda Schwandt and Program Advisory Council member Kimberly Reed.  We had break-out sessions and great conversations. It was a weekend to reconnect with the passion that brought us there in the first place.
AIGA design camp

This camp started back in 1980 and is the premiere graphic design camp in the upper Midwest. The theme for the weekend was “Making the Cut” and a theme I decided to turn into a question. “Do I make the cut”?  This question though, is more than about being the best, or being better than someone else. It is about self-reflection rather than self-comparison. “Am I doing everything I can to be a better person, a more inspiring teacher, an innovative designer? Do I make a difference in the things that I am passionate about?” “Do I Make the Cut?” It is something I plan to answer everyday.

AIGA design camp

So I challenge YOU to answer this question…“Do YOU make the cut”?