Thanksgiving Brings Turkey Bowling, Comfort Foods, and Giving Thanks

Posted by on November 21, 2012

Thankful for you tree

MSB-Elk River Thankful Tree

When people think about Thanksgiving, images of turkey, football and shopping typically come to mind—for the typical American family, gone are the days when Thanksgivingwas about survival and unification.

Although the importance of the holiday and what the holiday looks like has changed over time, one theme that continues to live on is giving thanks, which was the focus of a recent event at Minnesota School of Business-Elk River.

“We wanted to create an event that truly showed our students how grateful we are for them,” said event manager Yolanda Olive, “and have the event Thanksgiving-themed, since it’s that time of year.”

The event, “Thankful for you”, consisted of a semi-traditional Thanksgiving day dinner complete comfort foods like turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn and a bun that Minnesota School of Business-Elk River staff hand-served to students.

While eating, students were encouraged to sit at tables that were setup family-style in long rows and share stories about what they were thankful for this coming Thanksgiving.

Many students chose to share what they were thankful for with the entire campus by filling out a leaf and placing it on the thankful tree, which was hand-drawn by staff member Lea Poirier.

turkey bowling, thanksgiving

Vet Tech Student Turkey Bowling

Here are what a few leaves read:

“I’m thankful for the wonderful people in my life.”

“I am thankful to be aware, to have loved ones, to be a hard worker, to live in a time of availability, and I’m thankful to be me.”

“I’m thankful for an amazing husband, our wonderful children, a roof over our heads, and lots of love to give and receive.”

“I am thankful for my family, the opportunity to be able to work and to choose to go to school, and for all of our brothers and sisters serving overseas.”

While some students finished up their meals, whispers of being thankful for turkey bowling could be heard, as staff and students cheered on bowlers trying their luck at chucking a 15 pound turkey down the middle of the student commons in hopes of tipping all of the turkey pins over and gaining a chance at winning a $200 VISA gift card.

So, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving season?