How to Optimize Your College Career

Posted by on November 21, 2012

business administration degree

Cory Ley (left) and Financial Aid Associate Director Eric Hanson work on the MSB float for the Downtown Winter Nights and Lights Parade

When you ask Cory Ley about being busy, he grins. Widely.

“You cannot experience full life satisfaction,” he says, “without a little bit of action.”

Ley is a Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud student working toward his bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. He is also an MSB graduate in Interactive Media and Graphic Design, president of the campus DECA chapter, an Air Force veteran, a husband, a community volunteer and a self-employed entrepreneur. And he has a few words of advice for success in college and in life.

Motivated by a big-picture vision–to own not just one business someday, but a “few” that help out the community—Ley decided on an advanced degree.

“I also have a goal of returning to the Air Force as an Intel or Communications Officer,” he admits, and the bachelor’s degree is a prerequisite for that career.

Ley’s schedule would make the most industrious among us spin dizzy, but he takes it all in stride and even makes time to volunteer.

“I am currently a volunteer at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore [outlet] and find it absolutely amazing that local businesses and residents donate appliances and housing accessories to help the less fortunate in our community.”

business administration degree

Cory Ley (right) and HFS Chair Scott Eide help move rock at Lake George

Earlier in the year he also participated in the “MSB Gives Back Day” for the St. Cloud Parks and Recreation Department. “I was involved…to help move a few tons of rock around Lake George. Helping the city with a little manual labor was not only a good workout, but I got to meet some really cool people in the process,” Ley said.

Ley’s actions reflect his optimistic outlook on life. “I tend not to be afraid of failure and jump right in to whatever needs to be done,” he says.

He’s equally enthusiastic about school. “I honestly love being the President of MSB-St. Cloud Collegiate DECA. It has given me the ability to apply everything I learn in class to real world scenarios, which is definitely a plus. I also have created some long-lasting relationships which will carry on after I graduate.”

At his last MSB graduation, Ley was a commencement speaker. His advice to students facing their future holds true: “Don’t be afraid of making mistakes because it is inevitable. Rather, focus on your main goals in life and remember to have a little fun along the way.”

This is advice that Ley knows a little something about.