Bidding Farewell to Madame Librarian

Posted by on November 20, 2012

libraryMinnesota School of Business-St. Cloud’s loss is Idaho’s gain as Associate Campus Librarian Carrie Tannehill accepts the Campus Librarian position at our sister college, Broadview University in Boise. This is an interview with Carrie.

Q: How long have you been at Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud?

A: Since November 2008. I came here after receiving my graduate degree from Dominican University and working in St. Paul.

Q: What kind of help do you provide as an Associate Campus Librarian?

A: I usually start the day visiting with Neil Vig, Campus Librarian, to see what’s going on that day—if there are any problems, etc. Then I check in new periodicals. I spend 2-3 hours every day in the Resource Room as a Writing and Research tutor. After Neil leaves, I am in the library alone and work one-on-one with students: answering their reference questions, helping them with computers, and trouble-shooting technical issues. I also do the evening library instruction for classes; they usually happen early in the quarter. I also do about an hour or so of chat with a librarian for the library website.

Q: What are some of your favorite memories from you time at MSB-St. Cloud?

A: I really enjoyed the We Care activity we did at Discovery School where I read to first-graders. (Read Across America) It was also great to be a part of the really successful Trunk or Treat this year, too. In general, I liked any time—like an all-school meeting or other activities–where I could interact with staff. Probably my best memory, though, is working with students early on in their schooling and then watching them graduate later on.

Q: Why Boise, Idaho?

A: Well, Broadview is a sister school to MSB, and I will feel familiar with the job. Also, it’s a full-time position, and I welcome the challenge and responsibility. Finally, it’s closer to my family, who live in Oregon. Besides, I won’t have to be here for another Minnesota winter!

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I like to read, watch movies, walk, and visit family.

Q: What is something surprising about you that folks in Idaho will never suspect?

A: I’ve been skydiving twice – first with a group and then with a friend. It’s a rush. I can’t afford to do it often, but I’d do it again. Another thing: I don’t own a car and have used metro-bus transportation since January of 2009. I don’t think that will work in Idaho, though!

Q: What—besides your new job–are you looking forward to in Idaho?

A: The scenery and trying a candy bar called the “Idaho Spud.”