Cystic Fibrosis Won’t Keep this Veterinary Technology Student Down

Posted by on November 7, 2012

If you passed by her in the hallways, held an interesting conversation with her, or even sat by her in class, you would never guess she is suffering from cystic fibrosis.

And if you ask veterinary technology student, Amber Zitzloff, she isn’t suffering from it—she just has it.

“I was born with it,” said Zitzloff. “It’s a progressive disease.”

According to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 United States citizens.

veterinary technology, cystic fibrosis

Student Amber Zitzloff with Dean Paulson

Despite a lifetime of hospital visits, Zitzloff doesn’t let the disease bring her down.  After taking a few years off after high school to get her health on track, she enrolled in the Veterinary Technology program at Minnesota School of Business in Elk River.

“I love animals and want to be able to diagnosis and treat them,” said Zitzloff.

While going to class and spending countless hours doing homework may be the last things many people living with cystic fibrosis would choose to do, for Zitzloff, school helps her deal with the disease.

“School is a big deal to me,” said Zitzloff. “It gives me something to focus on and helps me get through what I have to do with my health.”

Her dedication to school is certainly apparent to many faculty and staff at the Elk River campus as Zitzloff was named student of the quarter for Early Fall.

Her nominator, instructor Nicole Rasmussen, beamed with delight when she heard Zitzloff was chosen.

“Amber deserves to be recognized,” said Rasmussen. “She really impressed me throughout the quarter by staying on top of her school work and communication despite spending two weeks of the quarter in the hospital.”

Zitzloff says she stays motivated and on top of things by the help of her very supportive family.

Congratulations Amber for being selected as the Early Fall Student of the Quarter!