What’s more important — credit load or voting?

Posted by on November 2, 2012

By Jon Carlson, Minnesota School of Business- Lakeville, Dean of Students

As the Dean of Students, I know that some of the Minnesota School of Business-Lakeville students have come to see me primarily as the champion of taking more credits. “Graduate sooner! Lower your loan debt! Keep your skills fresh!” This is as it should be.

But this week, once again, I want to promote voting. One of the controversial measures on the ballot is voteMinnesota School of Business, Votingr ID, and I wanted to present some info on it. (Ha! You thought I was going to delve into the marriage amendment. How crazy do you think I am?)

First, here is the text of the amendment from the Secretary of State’s website. Second, here is an independent site that notes supporters and opponents, possible pros and cons.

Now, you can find lots of partisan sites that blatantly promote one side or the other. I’m not a huge fan of them. Mostly they try to motivate using fear. I’m fairly certain that the sun will rise November 7th no matter which way we vote on either amendment or who is voted in as President. So, I present these as “factual” and hope you’ll take the time to read them.

Finally, if you’re looking for a broader range of info regarding this year’s ballot, check out this link from the Secretary of State’s website. It allows you to search for info specific to your place of residence.

Your education is important, very important. But your education must teach you to think critically and to be engaged in your community. With that in mind, I’ve chosen to use this space to encourage you take part in your (self) government by voting.

We’ll talk about your credit load on November 7th.