Overcoming the Fear of Math

Posted by on October 26, 2012

FEAR!

I have been a math teacher at the Minnesota School of Business  Brooklyn Center campus for the last 5 years, so I see a lot of….FEAR.  Fear is a weird thing.  It can cause you to fail before you try or to not try at all. It can stay with you for decades and give you the exact same feeling that you had when you were 12.

One of the first things I do with a new math class is to help students destroy their fear of math. Sometimes when a person conquers their fear, they find out that there was really nothing to be afraid of in the first place. All those years of living in fear were not justified, and when this realization hits, you feel LIBERATED!  I have seen this in students many times, and it is always awesome to observe. 

Whether it is math or anything else in life, never let your fear defeat you before you even try. 

Remember the words from my good friend, Master Yoda:

“Remember, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.”

May the Force Be with You!

Michael Leonard

** As a side note, if you do need help with math, seek it out. The math lab is open at the Brooklyn Center Campus several times a week every quarter. Check with the front desk or stop by room 201 to find out the hours.