Keep Your Pet Safe and Healthy During Halloween

Posted by on October 26, 2012

Pet Safety for HalloweenDon’t forget about your four-legged friends during Halloween excitement!  With all of the fun and activities surrounding this popular day it is easy to forget about what our non-human friends need from us. The Veterinary Technology students at Minnesota School of Business want to warn pet owners of possible dangers to pets.

There are many foods and treats associated with Halloween that can potentially be very hazardous to animals if ingested.  Halloween can also be a scary time for our pets with their family members being dressed in costumes and having many children coming to the door, ringing the bell and yelling out ‘trick or treat!’  To keep your cats and dogs safe and free from harm it is recommend that you confine your pets to a safe space in your home to reduce anxiety and possible escape during the time of ‘trick or treat’ visitors.  In addition over excited pets greeting visiting children can be overwhelming or frightening to some children.

After candy is collected and brought home make sure to keep it out of reach for your pets to avoid possible ingestion of potentially toxic substances.  Cats can be curious about lit candles that may be in jack-o-lanterns and could be burned or possibly cause fires by tipping over the candles.

Please see below for further information from the Pet Poison Hotline Website. 

The Most Prevalent Toxic Substances

A record-setting 70 percent of Americans celebrated Halloween in 2011, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Unfortunately, it was also a very busy time at Pet Poison Helpline. During the week surrounding Halloween in 2011, call volumes increased by 21 percent, making it one of the call center’s busiest weeks on record. Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service that assists pet owners, veterinarians and veterinary technicians who are treating potentially poisoned pets.

“Every year during the week of Halloween our call center gets busy, but never at the levels we experienced in 2011,” said Ahna Brutlag, DVM, assistant director at Pet Poison Helpline. “Many of the cases we handled were for dogs that ingested Halloween candy – the most common denominator being chocolate. By being cognizant of potential hazards, pet owners can help reduce the likelihood of pet poisonings this Halloween.”

The most common Halloween hazards for pets are chocolate, candy overindulgence, raisins, candy wrappers, glow sticks, jewelry and candles.

On Monday, Dec. 3, Pet Poison Helpline will be hosting a webinar for pet owners. The topic will be “Holiday Dangers for Pets,” and it will provide in-depth information about the many toxic substances that can threaten pets during the holidays. For more information and to register, click here.

Thank you for your Interest in Minnesota School of Business.