Health Is More Than Recreation For New HFS Chair

Posted by on October 26, 2012

New Health Fitness Specialist Program Chair Kirk Lewis brings a wealth of recreation and fitness experience to Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth.

health fitness specialist

Kirk Lewis lectures in his introduction to exercise science class

Kirk Lewis is a people person. “I’m a social guy. I like to learn about other people,” Lewis said.

Lewis will get plenty of people time, as he was recently named the health fitness specialist chair at the Minnesota School of Business (MSB) Plymouth campus.

“I really look forward to getting to know all my students; connecting, advising and learning what makes them tick. You can do that in the classroom, but this role allows me to help them even more effectively.”

Lewis is no stranger to our university. He taught adjunct classes at the Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud for six years, along with stops at St. Cloud Technical College and Anoka-Ramsey Community College.

“I enjoy seeing the ‘light bulb’ that comes on when [MSB] students start to understand a concept – I like to facilitate that,” Lewis said. “It’s especially exciting when students graduate and start their careers and we get to see how they’re able to apply their skills. Minnesota School of Business does this well – helping students apply those classrooms skills in the field.”

Lewis brings a bachelor’s degree in biomedical science and a master’s degree in exercise physiology from St. Cloud State (SCSU). He is currently pursuing his doctorate in educational leadership from the University of St. Thomas. But it all started at SCSU, where he was the full time swimming pool supervisor – a position only a handful of students in the country could claim.

Professionally, Lewis also held positions as the fitness center and aquatic director for the City of Becker, intramural director at St. Cloud State and fitness center director for the Army Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C.

Lewis hopes to bring that experience and education full circle, in teaching students about the importance of community and the people that live in it.

“A career is something that you can make a part of your life,” Lewis said. “One important aspect of the program is that is aligning closer and closer to the medical profession. We hope that when our students will be networking with doctors and rehab specialists while educating them about the benefits of exercise during and after their time at Minnesota School of Business.”

Lewis’ hope for all his students is the ability to stay nimble in the ever-changing world of health and fitness.

“I’m hoping [students] gain knowledge and critical skills to research and make educated decisions,” Lewis said. “You can’t be stale; new ideas and practices will be coming all the time. I hope our students will be able to take what they’ve learned and try to apply it, and make educated decisions. “