Vet Tech Student Turns Service Learning Into Part-Time Job

Posted by on October 17, 2012

Bre Ziegler With Dog
Bre Ziegler, Veterinary Technology student at Minnesota School of Business-Shakopee, wanted to do something related to her future career field when she chose her applied learning project for her Global Citizenship class.  So, she decided to volunteer for the Blue Earth/ Nicollet County Humane Society (B.E.N.C.H.S.).  This was a great fit for both Bre and B.E.N.C.H.S. because this nonprofit shelter “operates with limited paid staff and relies on the generosity of donors and volunteers to maintain quality care for the pets it accepts and places.”

Bre spent most of her time at B.E.N.C.H.S. getting the animals ready for adoption events, cleaning up the kennels, walking dogs, and socializing animals to help prepare them for adoption.  She said it was a great experience related to her field of study.  “I loved working down there for my service learning project,” Bre said.  “I got to know some of the animals down there which made my experience even better.  I really enjoyed being there and getting to interact with the animals. It was very rewarding.”

However, Bre not only had a great experience volunteering, but she was even offered a part-time job by this organization as a result of her hard work.  She was “extremely grateful that they ended up offering me a job down there!”