You’ve Got a Business Degree…Now What?

Posted by on August 30, 2012

A post from guest blogger, Leslie Nicol, Business Program Chair:

When I was 17 years old I was convinced I wanted to be a nurse. I pictured myself aside a surgeon, classically conditioned to hand over a scalpel on queue and using words like “stat” and “CCs.”

Leslie Nicol, Business Program Chair

Upon graduating high school, I did some research on the type of education I would need to make my mark on the medical world. It didn’t take me long to realize I was not equipped to handle this role. Math was never my strong suit, and I wasn’t keen on the idea of having to take three or more years of schooling beyond college. Oh, did I mention I hate the site of blood? Okay, so in retrospect this career choice was not thought through. Luckily, I discovered this early on.

We are all faced with the daunting question, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Many of us still do not know exactly what the future of our careers hold. What I do know, is a business degree will equip students with the tools to be successful in a variety of industries.

The assumption about a business degree is that it will automatically pigeonhole one into the corporate world of cubicles and carpools. In reality, a business degree is one of the only degrees that are malleable enough to go into any industry.

The challenge I pose to students is to decide where they see themselves implementing
what they have learned. By breaking down one’s interests into applicable work practices it will be easier to decide what direction to take your education. For example, once I realized I didn’t want to be a nurse I had to ask myself what it was about that career that appealed to me. I knew I wanted to help people. Well, there are a million different ways to do that. What about helping people was satisfying to me? It made me feel proud to watch someone succeed and that I was a part of helping them accomplish their goals. How can I make a career out of this? Maybe becoming a recruiter or a counselor would be a good fit.
This is what I mean by breaking down one’s interests.

So I ask those of you who are either planning to get a business degree or are already in the midst of getting one, what do you plan to do with it?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that Business Administration needs are projected to grow in the upcoming years with a higher demand for lower-level management jobs, office, retail and information management, in addition to entrepreneurial opportunities.

Projections for Sales and Marketing include the increased need for promotion managers, and public relations. Finance and Human Resources has an even higher projected growth rate due to new initiatives in ethical standards.

Take some time this week to brainstorm your perfect future. Breakdown your passions and create a plan to research those industries in which you envision yourself.

Need some inspiration? Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ search page.