Tabitha Young Wins Dr. Jacob Haffner Scholarship

Posted by on August 1, 2012

Tabitha Young Wins Haffner Scholarship

Minnesota School of Business Veterinary Technology student, Tabitha Young, has been
awarded a $500 academic scholarship from Dr. Jacob Haffner of the Banfield Pet Hospital in Waite Park. The annual scholarship is given to an exceptional MSB Vet Tech student who meets or exceeds several criteria in the field.

“It is my desire to give back to the profession that
has done so much for the patients and clients in my practice,” says Dr. Haffner of the award.  “Veterinary Nurses do most of the work in my practice and without their talent and skill we could not be successful.

Applicants for the award must be MSB students who have completed 55 credits toward their AAS degree (about half-way through theprogram,) have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, be a member of SCNAVTA (the student chapter of the National Veterinary Technology Association,) and have excellent attendance. In addition, Dr. Haffner likes to know that the student “has a smile and uses it often.”

Eric Hanson and Tambera Garza in the Financial Aid department worked tirelessly to promote the scholarship opportunity to Vet Tech instructors and students. Instructors, in turn, discussed the scholarship in class and one-on-one with students.

Young heard the message, but almost didn’t make the cut-off. She turned in her application 15 minutes before the deadline expired via her Iphone!

“It feels great to have won this,” Young says. “I want to really thank Dr. Haffner and Banfield Pet Hospital in choosing me. I feel as if someone out there is truly wanting me to succeed in my life-changing career. I can’t wait to be able to get out there and help animals in need!”

Congratulations, Tabitha! Well done!